• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The old stuff

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Is the best :) Something I've always been into is old technology. I asked a friend if he ever seen snowblowers on the road... Gives me a 1964 snowbird. I'm in the processes of fixing it. It does use points, but picked up a soild state coil and now have spark. I got it to fire but have to keep hand over carb inlet to stay running (not enough gas going in) the one part I missed for the carb rebuild was the pickup tube lol and it's cracked. As far as the rest of the machine everything seems to be in working order. Not even rotting out.

Then ask him about reel to reel tape deck... Gives me an Akai 1710w which is about 1960 all tube driven. I have a few tube radios I've fixed up. The play back selector was the only problem, i loaded up a reel after taking off the face plate and moving the levers by hand. The SOB played back and sounds really good (like most tube amps) it has built in speakers but can be hooked up using line in and out jacks. When playing a 1957 recording it really puts ya back in time. Over the years I've pulled reel to reels out the trash cleaned them up fixed them for nothing and sold them for about 150-200 on ebay. So if you ever see one keep me in mind :)

Is the best :) Something I've always been into is old technology. I asked a friend if he ever seen snowblowers on the road... Gives me a 1964 snowbird. I'm in the processes of fixing it. It does use points, but picked up a soild state coil and now have spark. I got it to fire but have to keep hand over carb inlet to stay running (not enough gas going in) the one part I missed for the carb rebuild was the pickup tube lol and it's cracked. As far as the rest of the machine everything seems to be in working order. Not even rotting out.
Then ask him about reel to reel tape deck... Gives me an Akai 1710w which is about 1960 all tube driven. I have a few tube radios I've fixed up. The play back selector was the only problem, i loaded up a reel after taking off the face plate and moving the levers by hand. The SOB played back and sounds really good (like most tube amps) it has built in speakers but can be hooked up using line in and out jacks. When playing a 1957 recording it really puts ya back in time. Over the years I've pulled reel to reels out the trash cleaned them up fixed them for nothing and sold them for about 150-200 on ebay. So if you ever see one keep me in mind :)

My dad had a 53 snowbird that ran until we got rid of it last year! Sure, the plastic tires were bald, and we had to spray PAM into the chute to stop it from clogging, but that thing was cool as hell!

Thats sick! Old reels are classic. They give you that back in the day feel, screw hi-def and blue ray, lol.

And you can crank them up with no distortion. Class A amps. Soild state is usally class A/B. And the thing with reel to reel you get no "hiss" like casset tapes have. Pulling 7 1/2" of tape a second across heads, 1800 feet of tape 45mins record time one side lol.

My dad had a 53 snowbird that ran until we got rid of it last year! Sure, the plastic tires were bald, and we had to spray PAM into the chute to stop it from clogging, but that thing was cool as hell!

Yeah that snow will freeze to the chute like you said, might try the silcone spray but PAM sounds cheaper, maybe use the one with butter lol.
I've been on the snowbird message boards they swear by this mod. http://smllengns.tripod.com/id1.html

Seems can work with any 2 stage blower.

And you can crank them up with no distortion. Class A amps. Soild state is usally class A/B. And the thing with reel to reel you get no "hiss" like casset tapes have. Pulling 7 1/2" of tape a second across heads, 1800 feet of tape 45mins record time one side lol.

Yeah that snow will freeze to the chute like you said, might try the silcone spray but PAM sounds cheaper, maybe use the one with butter lol.
I've been on the snowbird message boards they swear by this mod. http://smllengns.tripod.com/id1.html

Seems can work with any 2 stage blower.

There really are forums for anything, huh?:laugh:

i was going to do that to my snowblower this year when i realized how big the gap was between the impeller and the housing.

mt dad has an old tube radio that he took from my grandfather. really old...i mean like early 50's atleast.

it doesn't work...but if it can be made to work i would be very interested in finding out how.

I love older technology. Most of the "older" electronics I own are only from the late 80s / early 90s but I thoroughly appreciate things from the 40s-50s. Someday when I have more space I'd like to get a console radio. My friends do question my sanity when I gush over getting some old piece of junk, for example an Apple PowerCD.

about snowblowers, however ... my dad's Ariens is probably 10 years older than me and he loves it. I'm not so much a fan though, it requires different new parts every year.

There really are forums for anything, huh?:laugh:

Pretty much :)

i was going to do that to my snowblower this year when i realized how big the gap was between the impeller and the housing.

I got to get this one going first, but does looks like and from what I've read, makes a huge difference. Must be a tight fit on your model.

mt dad has an old tube radio that he took from my grandfather. really old...i mean like early 50's atleast.

it doesn't work...but if it can be made to work i would be very interested in finding out how.

Does it turn on at all? I would have to have it infront of me to fix it. I've fixed a few from the 50s The oldest one I repaired was 1930. But with the higher voltages used on the grids of the tubes you have to be careful.

I love older technology. Most of the "older" electronics I own are only from the late 80s / early 90s but I thoroughly appreciate things from the 40s-50s. Someday when I have more space I'd like to get a console radio. My friends do question my sanity when I gush over getting some old piece of junk, for example an Apple PowerCD.

about snowblowers, however ... my dad's Ariens is probably 10 years older than me and he loves it. I'm not so much a fan though, it requires different new parts every year.

Some money there if you find a nice working console radio. Some people are fair, others think they have a goldmine.

nah it doesn't do anything. I really don't know when it was made...it's really nice looking though. all wood and stuff. it could be older...i'd have to find out.

nah it doesn't do anything. I really don't know when it was made...it's really nice looking though. all wood and stuff. it could be older...i'd have to find out.

If it does nothing at all (tubes dont' light up) mostlikely the frist problem is cord, transformer, or the power switch. Some old radios didn't use a fuse. But worth checking. If you replace the fuse and it blows out it's a shorted filter cap or tube.

I will mess with it for money....no guarantee it will work when i am done, but it will have been messed with.
:D

Picked up two contemporary end tables from the late Seventies over the weekend. Medium-dark wood with a tinted glass inlay with chamferred edges. Also a low coffee table from about the same period with four quadrants of inlaid glass, stained in what appears to be Craftsman style. A surprise find was a GE clock radio from about 1983 that looks like a spaceship and includes a tuner for television audio. :cool:

i'm not messing with it, i'm looking to find someone who will in exchange for money

TGO if you trust me I would say ship it off and i'll fix it for nothing. I have tons of tubes and old test equipment for doing that kinda of work.

i trust you. i have to get it out of the basement and figure a way to pack it up real nice. it's useless to me as is, but if it can be made to work it would be a nice gift to my grandfather.

i trust you. i have to get it out of the basement and figure a way to pack it up real nice. it's useless to me as is, but if it can be made to work it would be a nice gift to my grandfather.

I'm sure he would love to see it work again. like you said just make sure it's packaged up really good. Shoot me a pm when your ready so I can give you shipping info.

Back