• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stock 98 Contour GS rear speakers

I got a 98 Contour GS and the previous owner changed the head unit, did that model include rear speakers? I can't really tell if there is something in the rear doors but when I adjust my fader towards the rear, nothing comes out. I'm just wondering if they were just not plugged in when the head unit was installed.

I got a 98 Contour GS and the previous owner changed the head unit, did that model include rear speakers? I can't really tell if there is something in the rear doors but when I adjust my fader towards the rear, nothing comes out. I'm just wondering if they were just not plugged in when the head unit was installed.

Yes, there are rear speakers back there, he must not have plugged them in...

It's also possible if the deck sucked enough, they used the rear speaker outs as high level inputs for a amp or something stupid like that....

Thanks for the info guys, I just want some rear fill and was not sure if there were allready speakers in the rear door. As for the head unit beeing bad, it's a bottom line Kenwood model and I'm not trying to replicate concert hall performance here. After all, my Contour is just my winter beater :shocked:

Thanks for the info guys, I just want some rear fill and was not sure if there were allready speakers in the rear door. As for the head unit beeing bad, it's a bottom line Kenwood model and I'm not trying to replicate concert hall performance here. After all, my Contour is just my winter beater :shocked:

Man how can you say that, you need full 5.1 surround sound in that car, movie screens everywhere, even on the outside like pimp my ride :laugh: J/K

Speaking of which, if I got a freaking car from them with screens molded into the bumpers... HTF am I going to actually use that car as a daily driver??!?!? I'd be like.... redo it MF's!!!!

It's also possible they are 100% BLOWN. Check and see if you have stock speakers. That could be a problem :)

Even if they were 100% blown, wouldnt some sort of crackling, or other irritating noise come from the speakers?

when the rear speakers failed in the rear doors of my fathers 95 one of the lead wires inside the speaker broke free completely making it an open circuit, and it didn't produce any sound, we actually thought it was the amp at first since neither rear speaker where producing any sounds

Yeah, in my mothers 02 Galant, her drivers front speaker was working on and off after being blown but eventually just died completely. No sound at all now.

Does she have an infinity amplified system in that car?

I'm honestly not sure. I know it's not the upgraded 8 speaker system with in-dash 6 disc changer. It's just the standard CD player with 4 speaker system but Infinity does ring a bell. For some reason I recall seeing that on the HU.

I'm honestly not sure. I know it's not the upgraded 8 speaker system with in-dash 6 disc changer. It's just the standard CD player with 4 speaker system but Infinity does ring a bell. For some reason I recall seeing that on the HU.

More than likely there is an infinity amplifier, and it's probably blown, thats why you have not sound at all, or that front speaker is making the amp protect and shut off, I'd try disconnecting that blown speaker and see if the audio starts working again, if not, you may have to replace the factory amp. Should be under the passenger front seat. I had to re-wire one that stopped working, pulled out the amp and it was all rusty, I think it was water damaged at one point...

Back