• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best areas to live in?

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
So I may be getting a job with the Feds in downtown DC... and I'll have to live within commuting distance. I'd like to live close enough to catch the Metro. I'm just wondering where the best areas to live are in Maryland/Virginia. Also, what's the average price to expect to pay for a 1-2 bedroom apartment? Any tips?

yeah, housing in VA is more expensive than MD. VA has more traffic and more cops. the closer you live to DC, the more expensive it is. best is if you are near the beltway, which would be about 10miles away from DC, and metro is also available there. MD is cheaper but a boring place to be. In Northern VA there are more bars, clubs, pubs, restaurants and georgetown is right across the bridge... 1 bedroom - you can find from $1050+ up to $2000 depends on the neighborhood and the building...just my 2 cents

Yep, look at 1 to 2K per month for an apartment, especially when near a Metro station.

You don't want to commute in by car. The federal government (and some other bigger organizations) has metrochek, which is a subsidy amount (maybe $100? per month) that is given to employees for taking the public transit instead of driving in. Parking in DC will also cost you about $15 to $20 per day.

Last edited:
I didn't plan on driving the least bit. I've been to DC a few times, and I know the Metro pretty well. Part of the job is a free unlimited use MetroCard. I'm not too worried about price... I'd like to know more specific areas that are relatively safe, and a good place to live. It's a law enforcement job, so I'd be carrying a handgun around.

Crystal City, Alexandria (Blue Line), Rosslyn, Clarendon, Courthouse (Orange Line). These are places young singles live in. Walk out of your apartment and you have places to eat and things to do. I'm sure there are places in DC and MD like that too.

I live in Annapolis, 20 minutes to the New Carrolton station. Rent in the area is decent and ranges from cheap for an ok place to expensive for a new "luxury" apartment.

I've got everything I need in the area. Restaurants, bars, mall, no Wal-Mart but 2 are close, it's quiet with kind of a small town feel to it.

Baltimore, DC and Northern VA are all about 35 minutes away.

I live in Annapolis, 20 minutes to the New Carrolton station. Rent in the area is decent and ranges from cheap for an ok place to expensive for a new "luxury" apartment.

I've got everything I need in the area. Restaurants, bars, mall, no Wal-Mart but 2 are close, it's quiet with kind of a small town feel to it.

Baltimore, DC and Northern VA are all about 35 minutes away.

too bad you're thinking of moving, otherwise you two could be roomates! :)

Don't rule out Silver Spring (MD) on the red line.
Silver Spring downtown has been a very popular place. A lot of night life too.
Don't know the rent range, but should be somewhat cheaper than Crystal City and surrounding. I had a 2 bed room apt in Crystal City from 2003-2005. Monthly rent was $2,050, which I shared with 2 other roomies.

too bad you're thinking of moving, otherwise you two could be roomates! :)

It's getting more likely that I'll be staying here. A possible new gf, a job with a company here in Annapolis and I'm really just looking at staying here. I like my one bedroom and 2 car garage. I sure hope I get one of the two jobs I'm crossing my fingers for and one of the two girls I'm dreaming of. One get's more dreams and is harder on the heart than the other but both are nice. :laugh:

Mention you are law enforcement, you can get discounts. Don't rule out College Park if you are younger. I lived in a place named Westchester Park. Rather nice and not far from two metro stops and bus stops. College Park has a decent night life when school is in.
-Andy

Crystal City, Alexandria (Blue Line), Rosslyn, Clarendon, Courthouse (Orange Line). These are places young singles live in. Walk out of your apartment and you have places to eat and things to do. I'm sure there are places in DC and MD like that too.

I concur about the singles, but you also have Columbia Heights and Adams Morgan blowing up in DC.

Are you bringing anyone with you or are you moving alone? There's a lot of places within the city that you could get, some are cheaper than the Rosslyn/Courthouse/Clarendon area. Check out Craigslist and sites like Rent.com

Back