• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Se motor in my Svt tour

fordman302

Hard-core CEG'er
Yes the headline says it all.I purchased my SVT about a year and half ago with a lower end knock.I found some 2.5L Duratec motors on ebay for sell i purchased 2 of the.(THE OTHER IS FORSALE IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.)I installed the new motor.Put the svt upper lower intakes on it along with throttle body.Injectors.Still impressed with the power.I still have the old svt motor was thinking about swaping the heads but a bit to much at the time.Needed to get the car on the road..I love my tour and wont trade it for nothing.Or will I? The motor now has 12,000 miles on it runs great.New transmission. 2,000 miles same for the clutch and flywheel.Old trans forsale 3rd gear syncro was going out.Not to bad yet PM me if interested.

I Really just wanted to start a conversation and hear what people have to say.Please no rude comments.Thanks.

Whatever gets it back on the road! You can always keep an eye out for a wrecked SVT with a good motor. I bought one last March for $300!

The 2.5L is not a bad deal and at least you can run 87 octane. My old SVT ran premium all summer and it cost me an extra $5/week.

I kept my Mystique and sold the SVT.

My Mysti has some SVT goodies on it and it gets 29mpg on the highway with 87 octane plus it's cheaper to insure.

Yeah i hear you the svt kills me on insurance but its worth it.Great looken car.Gets alot of looks.I dont think i want to go threw the hassle of putting another motor in the car.Big PITA.I still run 93 in it.Gas has been getting cheaper down here in South West FL.

SW FL!

I'm jealous! It's been near 30 degrees here the last few nights (SW, Michigan). So much for working on the car outside. I just put SVT brakes on the front of my Merc. today... in my insulated garage.

My wife and I vacationed in Miami a few years back and drove a Sebring Conv. to Key West and back. Very nice vacation! It's a bit of a drive at over 4 hours but it was still fun. Spent a drunk week in the Key's too!

Yeah the keys are beautiful.I have scuba dived there soo many times.Very nice.Yeah its chilly in the morning 50 or so but its been around 70 threw out the day.Its about 65-70 right now.Im thankful the summer is gone.It would be nearly 90-98 then plus the humidity.Crazy..

If/when you decide you want to bring some of that power back, you can always go with a 3 liter. You've got the important SVT parts at your disposal.

Just get the cams swapped in and it will probably have almost stock numbers again.

By using the SVT UIM and other MISC parts you pretty much made it put down similar numbers to an SVT motor. I agree with SVTavino, swap in the SVT cams and you should be right up there power wise. Most people in your situation would have bought a 3L though.

The SVT motor has higher compression pistons, and the intake side of the SVT heads were extrude honed.

Also, did you install the SVT oil cooler?

Mark

The SVT motor has higher compression pistons, and the intake side of the SVT heads were extrude honed.

Also, did you install the SVT oil cooler?

Mark

I didnt personally due the swap my friend did helped some..I would asume he did its mounted on the front of the car..Correct?..I pulled the tray when i did the trans swap.I cant remember if i pulled an oil line that goes to the front.Where does it sit i will take a close look at it.

Just get the cams swapped in and it will probably have almost stock numbers again.

Yeah i still have the svt cams.Not sure about installing them anytime soon.Would involve me removing front timing cover.to much right now..Need the car as a daily driver..But want to eventaully.

By using the SVT UIM and other MISC parts you pretty much made it put down similar numbers to an SVT motor. I agree with SVTavino, swap in the SVT cams and you should be right up there power wise. Most people in your situation would have bought a 3L though.

Yeah i have read alot about the 3L thomas Knight over here in Miami 3 hrs away from me and install one.But will need to car a few weeks.I dont want to pull a motor ever again in that car.PITA..Big Time.One day might do it.Hear theres some Custom Work that has to be done.Alt Bracket??..Not sure about the others have done some research.

Yeah i have read alot about the 3L thomas Knight over here in Miami 3 hrs away from me and install one.But will need to car a few weeks.I dont want to pull a motor ever again in that car.PITA..Big Time.One day might do it.Hear theres some Custom Work that has to be done.Alt Bracket??..Not sure about the others have done some research.

Eh, it just comes with practice. DanG (a NECO guy who started in Contours) says he's got the engine pull down to a 4-hour process. I'm pretty sure that a 3L install can be a weekend event with the right help.

Eh, it just comes with practice. DanG (a NECO guy who started in Contours) says he's got the engine pull down to a 4-hour process. I'm pretty sure that a 3L install can be a weekend event with the right help.

Weekend events never turn out quite right though! :laugh:

By using the SVT UIM and other MISC parts you pretty much made it put down similar numbers to an SVT motor.

Actually, I think you lose a little low end torque and fuel mileage by putting the SVT UIM/LIM/TB on an SE motor, but MAYBE gain a little top end because of the SVT PCM tuning. The big power difference is from the CAMs & to a lesser degree the PCM tuning.

I agree with SVTavino, swap in the SVT cams and you should be right up there power wise. Most people in your situation would have bought a 3L though.

Because of the lower compression from the SE heads, you'll still not be up to SVT standards with the CAM & intake swap, but you MIGHT be able to run on regular gas, if that is a consideration. You'll get close enough to SVT power ratings to make a ride in a stock SE a boring chore. :cool:

If the car is running fine as is, my advice is to plan & undertake a 3L swap with your existing SVT cams. Pull the timing chains, guides & such off one of the 2.5 engines so you can bolt them onto the 3L and do a relatively simplified engine swap.

Yeah seems easier said than done.Im the one that whe somthing doesnt go right i lose it easy.But yeah i plan to do somthing in the future.Or better yet just by a mustang.My buddy might be selling his 500hp 93 5.0 mustang soon if anyone has a resonable offer.its running trick flow head intake upper and lower cam.rockers.Full exhaust.Long tube headers.Supercharger.Tremic 5 speed.about 50 miles on it.new spec stage 4 clutch with flywheel.3.73 gearing.Roll cage. New e.t streets.Custom flame paint job.One best paint in 03 at fun ford weekend here in Brandenton FL.Dynoed at 460hp at the wheels.Thats over 500hp to the motor.If anyone would be interested PM me only

Back