• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone interested in making a few bucks?

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
There are three things that I need done on my 1996 V6 Contour SE that I just don't have the time nor skill to do. Not to mention that my hands would probably go numb in 30 degree weather with a lack of owning a garage.:help:

My power steering pump is on its way out. My car makes a constantly loud "kitchen blender" noise while running. It still functions fine but I get a disgusted stare by people wherever I go. I can pick up a pump at autozone for about 50 bucks (with a $40 core charge). However, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out with the installation. Please PM me with a price and a location. I will drive the car anywhere in southern NY, all of NJ, or eastern PA. The other items are spark plugs and spark plug wires (I have both). They could use a changing, and since the engine will be apart, it's not a bad idea to have them done too.

Is this a good deal on a new pump? It is the cheapest I've seen so far:
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...itialvehicleId,2141902/shopping/selectZip.htm

PS- This is not as important, but my passenger side front window slowly rolls down on its own. (It's electric.) I think it may just be off the track, or possibly need a new motor/track. I had a screw drilled into the track last year to hold the window up and keep it from opening on its own, but if anyone would like to take a look at it, please let me know. I haven't been able to roll down my window since my friend decided to almost jump out of the car through the partially opened window.:nonono::rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are three things that I need done on my 1996 V6 Contour SE that I just don't have the time nor skill to do. Not to mention that my hands would probably go numb in 30 degree weather with a lack of owning a garage.:help:

My power steering pump is on its way out. My car makes a constantly loud "kitchen blender" noise while running. It still functions fine but I get a disgusted stare by people wherever I go. I can pick up a pump at autozone for about 50 bucks (with a $40 core charge). However, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out with the installation. Please PM me with a price and a location. I will drive the car anywhere in southern NY, all of NJ, or eastern PA. The other items are spark plugs and spark plug wires (I have both). They could use a changing, and since the engine will be apart, it's not a bad idea to have them done too.

Is this a good deal on a new pump? It is the cheapest I've seen so far:
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...itialvehicleId,2141902/shopping/selectZip.htm

PS- This is not as important, but my passenger side front window slowly rolls down on its own. (It's electric.) I think it may just be off the track, or possibly need a new motor/track. I had a screw drilled into the track last year to hold the window up and keep it from opening on its own, but if anyone would like to take a look at it, please let me know. I haven't been able to roll down my window since my friend decided to almost jump out of the car through the partially opened window.:nonono::rolleyes:

Im in hunterdon county.. I believe my car is making the same noise, does it usually happen most of the time? Ill have to try and see if that is my problem tm, id give you a hand once i do mine.

Im in hunterdon county.. I believe my car is making the same noise, does it usually happen most of the time? Ill have to try and see if that is my problem tm, id give you a hand once i do mine.

My car makes the noise from the second I turn the key to the second I turn it off :nonono:. I was told it was the ps pump by at least four people. I am pretty positive that is the source of the sound. Please let me know what you find out!

My car makes the noise from the second I turn the key to the second I turn it off :nonono:. I was told it was the ps pump by at least four people. I am pretty positive that is the source of the sound. Please let me know what you find out!

Well my car has stopped making the noise or at least its not noticable any more. I ordered a PS pump and i dont think ill be using it any time soon, ill have to see if the noise comes back.

That's right, you live in the same township as my in-laws did. They've since moved to PA.

Mixtape took a sound clip of the noise. Paul (mixtape), it might be a good idea to send that clip to ubnpast so he can take a listen. Let's make sure it is the PS pump. I believe it is since it was put back in and didn't make the noise right away but it's always good to have someone else take a listen.

Ubnpast, if it wasn't the PS pump what do you think it is?

That's right, you live in the same township as my in-laws did. They've since moved to PA.

Mixtape took a sound clip of the noise. Paul (mixtape), it might be a good idea to send that clip to ubnpast so he can take a listen. Let's make sure it is the PS pump. I believe it is since it was put back in and didn't make the noise right away but it's always good to have someone else take a listen.

Ubnpast, if it wasn't the PS pump what do you think it is?

To tell you the truth I dont have a clue, mine sounds like a bad pulley slightly similar to belt squeel, but I have tried 2 belts, and another ps pump its still there. Its not my idler pulley because I just replaced that within the last month, the next thing im going to look at is the tensioner. I would think that if it were the ps pump the noise would change when you would turn the steering wheel, although I could be wrong.

EDIT: the sounds are totally different, wow that sounds pretty bad lol. Look at the crank pulley, is it smooth while the car is running? mixtape i PMed you back.

Last edited:
Yeah, change the tensioner and hopefully you will be good to go.

Next Paul is here we will remove the belt, run the car and see if the noise goes away. We'll also check out the pulleys. I did look at the crank pulley and it seemed OK but I will check more thoroughly next time.

It's not a big issue with the Contours so I'm not 100% convinced that it is the PS pump.

Back