• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How hard is it to get a key? (impounded car)

If it doesn't have the PATS (and I think Zetecs did not have them?) then, any locksmith should be able to "cut" you a key.

zetec never had pats so you would just need someone to cut a new key or you could swap out the lock set for ones with keys but you would have an issue with getting the ignition cylinder replaced.

Yep.. that's true.. Duratecs could come with them, Zetecs without...

when i had my zetec mystique you didn't even need the keys to start it, what ever you could fit into the ignition and turn, the car would start up :laugh: so pretty much you could say it had a "keyless ignition"

not sure when PATS was added, but i believe it was in 98 ... so any pre98 wouldn't have PATS, I know for a fact the 95's don't

not sure when PATS was added, but i believe it was in 98 ... so any pre98 wouldn't have PATS, I know for a fact the 95's don't
correct
icon_thumb.gif

If you are going to buy it get it , take the ppr work to the dealer showing you bought it , give them the vin and they can cut you a key using it to match. Not sure the cost but it isnt that much

Its the same procedure you would follow if you lost your keys and needed new ones w/pats programmed at a dealer.. they will verify ownership with registration/insurance/license before they do it.

Whether they will do it to a car that you JUST BOUGHT, I don't know.. but how would they know the difference, really?

never heard of Ford doing that .... worth a shot through ...

I know from experience GM will do it for ya... so maybe Ford has a similar database? I 'lost' the keys for my 89 Grand Prix... too long of a story for the on screen keyboard!

If not, You'll need to remove a lock cylinder and take it (with proper credentials) to a locksmith... trunk is the easiest to remove. I paid $15 to have a trunk lock cylinder rekeyed, so maybe somewhere around that.

In the old days (prior to chip-imbedded keys), Honda will/can cut a key if you provide the key number and proof of ownership.

my 98 Zetch did not have it, so my keys cost about 3 bucks :) but yea just take the vin to dealer, it will not cost much. even the ones with a chip you can get cut keys...but they will only work on the doors, so got to pony up to start it :) but I still am going go get one, because I am dumb and have locked keys in th car before :( leaned in to grab something and they fell out of my jacket.

i had a locksmith cut me some keys for my mothers jeep when she lost them
he just needed the VIN and he was able to make it.

I had a Saturn and if it was within so many yrs of there database they could just cut you a key off the vin #.. Not sure about Ford though.

About the keyless Ignition LOL, Lots of old fords were like that too, my brother had an 85 GT mustang didnt need any kind of keys!

when i had my zetec mystique you didn't even need the keys to start it, what ever you could fit into the ignition and turn, the car would start up :laugh: so pretty much you could say it had a "keyless ignition"

sounds like my old explorer. boy was it fun getting pulled over in that thing.

"Who's car is this?"
"Mine..."
"Step out of the car please" :blackeye:

Back