• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

iPod Integration

giganto

CEG'er
I bought my 1996 Mystique in Chicago three months ago. I've replaced the dry-rotted tires. I've scoured the salvage yards to replace missing and damaged interior trim pieces. Now I have turned my attention to the broken head unit. It was a Pioneer DEH-P735R with an unlit backlight display and a reggae CD stuck inside. I fumbled around to find the station for my iPod's FM transmitter, and left it alone ever since. This head unit proved irreparable, so I had no coice but find a new one which would be iPod compatible.

I had no idea how hard that was going to be! Unless I bought a $600+ unit, I wouldn't even be able to use the iPod's clickwheel. Everything with an iPod cable treated it like a memory bank and required you to fumble through the stereo's own interface. That was no way to control 20Gb of music. I just wanted to mount my iPod over that useless coin holder and hear the music (without interference), let the iPod keep itself charged, and not have a lot of cables dangling everywhere. It only cost me $165.64

The fist challenge was finding an iPod adapter that would both charge it and connect it to a stereo head unit "aux-in". The best deal I could find was the CBLiAUX-AVi from Neo Car Audio: http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=1086
For only $35, I only had to attach the red wire to a red accessory hot, the ground wire to the ground, and the RCA plugs to the back of my head unit.

The next challenge was to find a good head unit with a rear-mounted auxiliary input jack. The Pioneer DEH-P4900IB was the cheapest I could find; and it would use the same wire harness as the old one, or so I thought. I found a remanufactured unit on eBay for $106.94 with shipping.

Once everything was together, it was time to pull out the old unit and wire in the new one. The old one was miswired, but had already bypassed the factory amp. I pulled out the old amp and mounting bracket if anyone wants one. I just needed to connect the RCA jacks from the adapter to the 1/8" headphone jack of the "AUX-IN." To do that, I needed $10 worth of audio Y-adapter and gender changers from Wal-Mart and Radio Shack. A little overkill, but cheaper than any new head Unit with RCA auxiliary Inputs. I loosened the instrument panel and ran the Neo adapter cable up behind it. I drilled a cable-sized hole next to the top of the coin holder nad cut a slot across the top of the instrument panel (and replaced that darn clock backlight.) This let me wedge the cable in, because the end of the iPod cable is very big and would need a correspondingly big hole in the instrument panel. Velcro holds an $8 iPod holder in place right over the coin holder. There are no toll roads or parking meters around here, so no loss for me. This is what the final results look like, and how it'll look next time I visit Chicago:
DSCF2007a.jpg DSCF2009a.jpg

I just don't know why the head unit came with a remote control. Do you really trust the folks in the back seat with the child-proof door locks and windows to keep from turning the volume up to full blast?

I bought my 1996 Mystique in Chicago three months ago. I've replaced the dry-rotted tires. I've scoured the salvage yards to replace missing and damaged interior trim pieces. Now I have turned my attention to the broken head unit. It was a Pioneer DEH-P735R with an unlit backlight display and a reggae CD stuck inside. I fumbled around to find the station for my iPod's FM transmitter, and left it alone ever since. This head unit proved irreparable, so I had no coice but find a new one which would be iPod compatible.

I had no idea how hard that was going to be! Unless I bought a $600+ unit, I wouldn't even be able to use the iPod's clickwheel. Everything with an iPod cable treated it like a memory bank and required you to fumble through the stereo's own interface. That was no way to control 20Gb of music. I just wanted to mount my iPod over that useless coin holder and hear the music (without interference), let the iPod keep itself charged, and not have a lot of cables dangling everywhere. It only cost me $165.64

The fist challenge was finding an iPod adapter that would both charge it and connect it to a stereo head unit "aux-in". The best deal I could find was the CBLiAUX-AVi from Neo Car Audio: http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=1086
For only $35, I only had to attach the red wire to a red accessory hot, the ground wire to the ground, and the RCA plugs to the back of my head unit.

The next challenge was to find a good head unit with a rear-mounted auxiliary input jack. The Pioneer DEH-P4900IB was the cheapest I could find; and it would use the same wire harness as the old one, or so I thought. I found a remanufactured unit on eBay for $106.94 with shipping.

Once everything was together, it was time to pull out the old unit and wire in the new one. The old one was miswired, but had already bypassed the factory amp. I pulled out the old amp and mounting bracket if anyone wants one. I just needed to connect the RCA jacks from the adapter to the 1/8" headphone jack of the "AUX-IN." To do that, I needed $10 worth of audio Y-adapter and gender changers from Wal-Mart and Radio Shack. A little overkill, but cheaper than any new head Unit with RCA auxiliary Inputs. I loosened the instrument panel and ran the Neo adapter cable up behind it. I drilled a cable-sized hole next to the top of the coin holder nad cut a slot across the top of the instrument panel (and replaced that darn clock backlight.) This let me wedge the cable in, because the end of the iPod cable is very big and would need a correspondingly big hole in the instrument panel. Velcro holds an $8 iPod holder in place right over the coin holder. There are no toll roads or parking meters around here, so no loss for me. This is what the final results look like, and how it'll look next time I visit Chicago:
View attachment 2209 View attachment 2210

I just don't know why the head unit came with a remote control. Do you really trust the folks in the back seat with the child-proof door locks and windows to keep from turning the volume up to full blast?

Or you could of bought the CD-I200 interface for pioneer decks for $24.99 and had full speed control and charging, with ipod interface controls from the radio, which function just like the Ipod itself.... :shrug: Could of put the Ipod in the glove box then and only had to pull it out when you need to add to it or use it outside of the car, giving the out of sight out of mind approach to not getting your Ipod stolen. :shrug:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8599_Pioneer+CD-i200.html

$35 interface + $8 holder + $10 adapters = $53

$53 - $25 interface = $28 saved for other expenses...

Last edited:
Looks good, went through this not too long ago with my SVT. Hated the FM transmitter, only had the factory head unit. I ended up getting a new Pioneer 2900 H/U with the iPod adapter. I have a cable in my glove box, remote for the head unit, and all I have to do I plug the iPod in and everything is controlled through the head unit now. I spent under $400 for everything, h/u, adapter and install... Oh yeah, it charges the iPod to!!

Last edited:
Looks good, went through this not too long ago with my SVT. Hated the FM transmitter, only had the factory head unit. I ended up getting a new Pioneer 2900 H/U with the iPod adapter. I have a cable in my glove box, remote for the head unit, and all I have to do I plug the iPod in and everything is controlled through the head unit now. I spent under $400 for everything, h/u, adapter and install... Oh yeah, it charges the iPod to!!

FM transmitters blow in anything there put in..... originally they were sweet in the satellite radios a couple years back, but ever since the FCC made sirius and xm turn down the output of the FM trans, they utterly suck without an FM Modulator...

Or you could of bought the CD-I200 interface for pioneer decks for $24.99 and had full speed control and charging, with ipod interface controls from the radio, which function just like the Ipod itself.... :shrug: Could of put the Ipod in the glove box then and only had to pull it out when you need to add to it or use it outside of the car, giving the out of sight out of mind approach to not getting your Ipod stolen. :shrug:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8599_Pioneer+CD-i200.html

$35 interface + $8 holder + $10 adapters = $53

$53 - $25 interface = $28 saved for other expenses...

I had tried using the USB cable, on similar models in my price range (cheap!) and couldn't find one that would let me easily browse through my 6,533 songs. At least with the iPod mounted up high, I can more easily not hit anything while changing songs. I have playlists to keep me going for long drives without interruption, but every once in a while I feel the need for the Road Warrior. Plugging and unplugging the iPod in the glove compartment all the time also seems inconvenient.

I had tried using the USB cable, on similar models in my price range (cheap!) and couldn't find one that would let me easily browse through my 6,533 songs. At least with the iPod mounted up high, I can more easily not hit anything while changing songs. I have playlists to keep me going for long drives without interruption, but every once in a while I feel the need for the Road Warrior. Plugging and unplugging the iPod in the glove compartment all the time also seems inconvenient.

My h/u lets me choose the playlist etc from the remote, also displays the playlist name, then the song name. I guess getting it in\out of the glovebox isn't a big deal for me, it pretty much just stays in there...

it's a proprietary interface which connects to that dongle off the back, it's not USB, by simply hitting the list button you can select your normal IPOD stuff like playlist, album, artist, song, etc, the use the arrow keys to browse... it's a very simple interface... :shrug: It's all preference though, I'm not soo much for Ipod's an the like, even though I know how to integrate them like no other... I'd rather have a car-puter, and be able to sync wirelessly ALL my music from my home PC...

mp3car.com

it's a proprietary interface which connects to that dongle off the back, it's not USB, by simply hitting the list button you can select your normal IPOD stuff like playlist, album, artist, song, etc, the use the arrow keys to browse... it's a very simple interface... :shrug: It's all preference though, I'm not soo much for Ipod's an the like, even though I know how to integrate them like no other... I'd rather have a car-puter, and be able to sync wirelessly ALL my music from my home PC...

mp3car.com
That was the website where I first found out about the Neo iPod adapter, and they charge $30 extra for it! http://store.mp3car.com/Adapters_s/20.htm Though they have one that doesn't do video for $35.

The Pioneer interface is fine if you just have a couple dozen playlists or albums; however, to get to the Road Warrior (listed as Mad Max 2) I have to press the down button 247 times! :shocked: Few of my albums higher in the alphabet might ever be played.

That was the website where I first found out about the Neo iPod adapter, and they charge $30 extra for it! http://store.mp3car.com/Adapters_s/20.htm Though they have one that doesn't do video for $35.

The Pioneer interface is fine if you just have a couple dozen playlists or albums; however, to get to the Road Warrior (listed as Mad Max 2) I have to press the down button 247 times! :shocked: Few of my albums higher in the alphabet might ever be played.

You could just press and hold the button once, I believe it scrolls faster when you do that doesn't it?

If it does speed scrolling, it doesn't say in the manual for the head unit. The manual also says it won't display characters it can't display! I did change my Japanese album names to english; however, most track titles are still in Japanese. Why a Pioneer won't display Japanese is a mystery to me; I guess my budget head unit was meant for export. The display is the basic alpha-numeric LED, like on calculators and digital watches.

If it does speed scrolling, it doesn't say in the manual for the head unit. The manual also says it won't display characters it can't display! I did change my Japanese album names to english; however, most track titles are still in Japanese. Why a Pioneer won't display Japanese is a mystery to me; I guess my budget head unit was meant for export. The display is the basic alpha-numeric LED, like on calculators and digital watches.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, I would like to assume that it would act like the fastforward and rewind, when you hold it, goes at a certain speed, unless you keep holding then it goes even faster.... My deck is a JVC though, I think pioneers do it, but it's been awhile nice i've used those functions on that brand of radio.

As for the LCD you'd have to design a whole new lcd to accommodate those characters, plus the limited number of people who are actually going to use that function, I'm sure the costs out weigh the benefits in this case... If this were a Japanese market then it would make sense..... Or if you had a car-puter this wouldn't be an issue because you could just download the character set :D

Back