• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best 3.0 Swap How-To???

aboyer

New CEG'er
I have been reading for what seems like weeks all of the threads about 3.0L swaps into the SVT Contour and it is getting kind of confusing.

Is there any one person or place that has the details laid out of what is exactly involved with the swap? From the point where both engines are out of the car and what has to be swapped onto the 3.0L from the 2.5L with the least amount of labor and parts to be purchased.

From what I have read so far, you can use a mix of the parts from each engine but then you need to do modifications such as the Intake mod so that the SVT UIM can mount to the 3.0 LIM (If I read those posts correctly).

I just want the quickest way to get the 3.0L into my car without having to do any kinds of mods just to get it to work.

Maybe if someone had all of the requirements laid out in one nice document / checklist I would consider doing the swap.

Otherwise I am tempted to just get another 2.5L from a standard Contour V6 and drop it into the car with the SVT Induction and exhaust and be done with the whole thing.

Thanks,
Antonio

1993 SVT Cobra - (Garage Queen)
1998 Contour GL V6 (Daily Driver)

Since there are several approaches to the project, there is no one way to do it.

First you need to study the different possible configurations and the pros and cons of each. It is only after you know what the final configuration is that you can lay it out. I don't even know all of the possibilities. They include which cams to use, which timing chains to use (dependent on the cams used), which 3.0 engine you started with, which oil pan to use, which timing cover to use, which heads to use, which intake manifold to use, how you will match the intake manifolds to the heads (adapter plates, grinding and filling, revised lower intake manifold, etc).

So far there is no agreement as to which configuration is best.

The actual engine R&R (remove and replace) is well covered, especially in the shop manuals.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to start taking notes on each install and make some sort of list up.

I was hoping that someone did an install write with notes and pictures.

From what I can tell it seems like I will end up performing a hybrid install using the 3.0L block and the rest of the parts from my 2.5L to minimize the amount of modifications that need to be completed.

By the way, this is NOT be done on my 98 Contour GL but a 98 SVT Contour that isn't listed with the other cars below.

Thanks,
Antonio

From what I can tell it seems like I will end up performing a hybrid install using the 3.0L block and the rest of the parts from my 2.5L to minimize the amount of modifications that need to be completed.

So, you'll be using 2.5L heads on a 3.0L block?

From what I read initially that was my plan just so I didin't have to do all kinds of mods to get a complete 3.0 to work correctly. But the more I read, that was old thinking and the complete 3.0 is the way to go from a new Escape.

But now I might be swaying to just dropping in another 2.5L to get the car running then work on getting a 3.0L and getting it ready so that all I need to do is yank the old 2.5L and drop the 3.0L in (after I do more reading on what is involved)

hi

hi

if you have the complete svt engine, i would use a 3l block, heads and just use the 2.5 manifolds.

On the 3L block you need to cut the tabs for the alternator bracket as well as the ones that interfere with the svt oil cooler. You will see exactly where it is when you look at the block. You can use the newer cougar motor mount or just hack your old 2.5 mount in order for it to fit between the heads.

You will need to swap the timing cover and valve covers from the 2.5 engine, make sure you swap your pulse wheel if you do this

You need to use a die grinder to cut the 3L heads so the svt Lower intake manifold will fit. all of this can be found by searching

this may not be the optimal setup as far as horsepower but i still think that it is the cheapest, easiest, and fastest

xh20x,

Thanks for the info. I read before about modifying the heads and about bugzuki's plates. If I go this route I will definetly buy a set of his plates as a template for the head modification.

I have read that people are swapping the SVT cams when the keep the SVT UIM & LIM so I guess I will need to consider that also.

My swap probably won't happen until it gets warm out again. It's too cold to work in the garage right now and I don't want to leave my Cobra in the driveway for any extended period of time exposed to the crappy weather.

Canadian Cougar,

Thanks for the link. It was also helpful. I have been visiting quite a few Contour / Cougar sites reading all of the discussion on the pros/cons of each set up.

Regards,
Antonio

it really depends how confident you are with timing your engine. There have been a few swaps that people have switched the cam-caps causing the cam to seize, break the timing chain and w/e. If you are confident with your skills and want the car to have a little more top end power i would swap the svt cams over.

The best How-to is get somebody on your side that knows how to do it! Buy them lunch and bring some drinks and your well on your way to your new 3L!!!

Best How-to...and learn on the way!!

- amyn

Degreeing in cams isn't a big issue (for me). I have degreed cams in various imported motorcycles w/ DOHC and in my Cobra when I installed the new cam. So I don't think dealing with swapping the cams to the 3.0 would be an issue for me.

Did I read correctly that if I use a 1999 3.0L, I do not need to modify the 3.0 heads because they don't use the oval ports?

I agree about getting someone who has already done the swap to help. That is how I learned to do some of the things to my hosue when I was remodeling it. And several times I have been over to other peoples houses to help them with their projects that I have already done and have the experience.

The best How-to is get somebody on your side that knows how to do it! Buy them lunch and bring some drinks and your well on your way to your new 3L!!!

Best How-to...and learn on the way!!

- amyn

The best advice is to research it so you don't need any help. It can be done. I did it. All the information is out there. My two cents.

The 99 3.0 heads do not have provision to drive the water pump of the back side of one of the cams like our engines do. Using 99 3.0 heads would require finding a way to pump coolant. The most common way is with an electric water pump, which have proven to be very troublesome.

Back