• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk Remote

elraido

I kant speel
The remote to open the trunk doesn't work on my car. :cry: Hasn't since I bought it. Both remotes don't pop it open, so I know it has to do with the car and not remotes. Any ideas?

The trunk is released 3 ways.

1. Cable from interior handle to trunk latch.
2. Cable from exterior lock to trunk latch.
3. Rod from trunk actuator to trunk latch. <--- This is your problem.

Check the connections on the trunk actuator, and if they appear fine, just replace the unit. It's a pretty common failure.

I replaced mine this summer after it just died one week.

The trunk is released 3 ways.

1. Cable from interior handle to trunk latch.
2. Cable from exterior lock to trunk latch.
3. Rod from trunk actuator to trunk latch. <--- This is your problem.

Check the connections on the trunk actuator, and if they appear fine, just replace the unit. It's a pretty common failure.

I replaced mine this summer after it just died one week.

I would assume where this is located and how to replace it is in the Ford CD?

It's under the black plastic cover that surrounds the trunk latch. Remove the cover and it's a few bolts to remove the actuator.

No need for a Ford CD to replace it. It's about a 10 min. job.

My trunk release on the floor by my left foot doesn't open the trunk either, but it's not because it doesn't work; it does work, but both trunk props are bad and there is nothing to pop it open when the trunk release does work.

That is, the release releases the trunk, but the trunk just sits there.

Mike

My trunk release on the floor by my left foot doesn't open the trunk either, but it's not because it doesn't work; it does work, but both trunk props are bad and there is nothing to pop it open when the trunk release does work.

That is, the release releases the trunk, but the trunk just sits there.

Mike

either install new strut or add the assist spring to the trunk lid ...

working at a mercury dealership and having seen a lot of these cars, none of the trunks come up when opened either by key, floor release or remote. i actually prefer it that way. if the trunk lid stays up when opened then your struts are ok and putting new struts on will not correct your situation.:shrug:

working at a mercury dealership and having seen a lot of these cars, none of the trunks come up when opened either by key, floor release or remote. i actually prefer it that way. if the trunk lid stays up when opened then your struts are ok and putting new struts on will not correct your situation.:shrug:

you missed the point, the trunk will not open when it is released from the inside handle, but it should put up so that you can open it. when the struts get weak the trunk will not pop from the latch and therefor you can not open it from inside the car ...

you missed the point, the trunk will not open when it is released from the inside handle, but it should put up so that you can open it. when the struts get weak the trunk will not pop from the latch and therefor you can not open it from inside the car ...

mine will open from the remote and handle inside the car but does not "pop" up. i just pull and its released. i don't have a trunk key

mine will open from the remote and handle inside the car but does not "pop" up. i just pull and its released. i don't have a trunk key

98+ your ignition key is your trunk key .... pre98 had a ignition key and a separate trunk key ...

yea my key will not work. i have tried PB blaster in the lock but i don't want to risk breaking a key. I'm sure i was the first owner to try the key for the trunk of my car.

There is a brass lookin tab on the trunk latch that either turns off the interior latch or the key latch... cant remember for sure but worth checkin,,, just fold down ur rear seat first in case it shuts off the key... being as its ur only way in ud be locked out for sure if you dont fold the seat down and it kills the key...

btw my remote wont pop mine either. havent got out there to check it out yet. also got a mad moisture problem in there too... one of these days... one of these days....

:nonono: Ya after the first guy got out of my trunk with that emergency cable i clipped it and that fixed that problem...um wait i mean...no theres never been ppl in my trunk... i ment i climbed threw and it got caught on my shirt and pulled off.... ya, thats it...

the swith that turns the pop off inside the car is located in the little hole where the latch connects in the trunk. Oh and I have 97 and my ignition and trunk key are the same.

U know come to think of it... Im missing that plastic cover... after reading where you said it was im all like, :shrug:what hole... then i relize oh ya, im missing the cover on the inside from light to light... hmm... guess id better find one... lol

Back