• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Been working on some new stuff...

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Here's one of em, it just needs new chrome and it'll be good to go:laugh:
I did this in about 3 1/2 hours tonight.
grille1.jpg

grille2.jpg

grille3.jpg

grille4.jpg

What do you think?
There's going to be more to come within the next week so stay tuned!

Last edited:
dont go the mismatched route!!!! do body color,join the cool kids
icon_rave.gif

I've always liked staying out of the crowd. We'll see how it turns out. Since its already black all I have to do is clear coat it once I finish sanding. If it doesn't look good all I'll have to do is do a quick sand and paint it t-red.

post pics!!!!!!!!

I will when its done. Don't worry.

I still have to get the paint and some new sandpaper so I can smooth it out. I'm probably only going to go up to 1000 grit, it gets too tedious after that. Hopefully I can get that stuff today since I'm selling two books from last semester. I will be ordering something very special tomorrow though. I can't wait!

Last edited:
Got the paint today! I finished sanding (I think). You can still see a lot of imperfections in the plastic but it feels damn smooth. I think I'm gonna go ahead and prime it tomorrow because since the imperfections are maybe .01mm deep the paint should fill them in fine. If there is anything horribly noticeable after I prime it I'll just sand down again from there. I only took it up to 800 grit paper btw.

Ok, I officially hate sanding. I've gone over the whole thing twice so far from 150 up to 800 grit and every time I'm done I notice a bunch of scuff marks that are still there. The grille was in bad shape already if any of you recall, so I think I'm going to sand it one more time, suck it up, and paint it. Then I just need to do a few minor things and the mystique should be back together by next Friday or Saturday (hopefully!). The LIM is almost clean enough to go back on tomorrow!

Ok, I officially hate sanding. I've gone over the whole thing twice so far from 150 up to 800 grit and every time I'm done I notice a bunch of scuff marks that are still there. The grille was in bad shape already if any of you recall, so I think I'm going to sand it one more time, suck it up, and paint it. Then I just need to do a few minor things and the mystique should be back together by next Friday or Saturday (hopefully!). The LIM is almost clean enough to go back on tomorrow!

Are the scuff marks in the plastic, or in the paint? Either way, I think you are going to need to and it with finer paper to make it completely smoooooth

Are the scuff marks in the plastic, or in the paint? Either way, I think you are going to need to and it with finer paper to make it completely smoooooth

In the plastic. What I might do is put on my back up grille until I can get this one completely smooth instead of rushing it.

Back