• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

High tower help

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
im plan on doing this mod this saturday and want to go with a flat black on a silver frost car. my questions are as follows.

What grit of sand paper should i use to remove the chrome?
Should i prime it gray?
any specail tipe of oblack paint i should use or would duplicolor type paint(rattle can) work fine?
where can i find the high temp silicone RTV at?
Should i clear coat the black or leave it flat?

Thanks

im plan on doing this mod this saturday and want to go with a flat black on a silver frost car. my questions are as follows.

What grit of sand paper should i use to remove the chrome?
Should i prime it gray?
any specail tipe of oblack paint i should use or would duplicolor type paint(rattle can) work fine?
where can i find the high temp silicone RTV at?
Should i clear coat the black or leave it flat?

Thanks

You can wipe the chrome right off with never Dull or Mothers..I tryed this and took forever..And you can even bust threw if you go to long in one area..If i were you get some 600gritt sand paper scuff it all Base it whatever color you choose..And let dry
and then clear it..Depending on what you want it to come out like..I like a glossy black and clear..
You can get the RTV from your Autozone or Advanced auto etc.

Last edited:
:shrug: i didnt even get that carried away,i used 400 grit to scuff it,and used three coats of gloss black,two coats of clear coat. they arent exposed to road debris so they dont need to be ubber thick w/paint and clear

:shrug: i didnt even get that carried away,i used 400 grit to scuff it,and used three coats of gloss black,two coats of clear coat. they arent exposed to road debris so they dont need to be ubber thick w/paint and clear

Primer is a Sealant to seal the item..And Shawns 6 coats of black could be Even light coats..Your 3 coats could have been even heavier coats..
Heck my old Hightowers i put like 4 heaven coats on and no clear or primer..
Its all on how much Quality you are looking for..

Primer is a Sealant to seal the item..And Shawns 6 coats of black could be Even light coats..Your 3 coats could have been even heavier coats..
Heck my old Hightowers i put like 4 heaven coats on and no clear or primer..
Its all on how much Quality you are looking for..

lookin for the best quality

lookin for the best quality

Best quality-
After removing the chrome insert remove the orange corner lense..
scuff with a 400gritt
Blow off with air, Primer till all is coveed should be a good 2 coats
scuff again with 400gritt apply another 2 coats of primer cover all..
Wet sand with 600gritt till its smooth if you bust threw go back and repeat your previous steps.
Use adhesive promter then base it with your color..Alow to dry then Clear coat it..
If you have any other Questions just ask.

whats adhesive promter?

and would gloss black krylon fusion plastic paint be good for this?
and also how many coats of paint? (6 light coats per light?)

Adhesive promter is a clear spray used to allow to base to stick better etc etc.
The paint is totally up to you..I use a Matrix Paint system at work so i would just mix up a bottle of Factory black or a Charcoal color..Im not really sure with a rattle can..IMO a flat black or glossy color would look good.
Just do light even coats until the primer is covered completely

okay no one seems rto have the 400 grit so would the 600 be good enough?

Yeah thats fine scuff really good with 600 primer it then wet sand with 1000 since your not useing 400 to start with then 600 to wet sand so 1000 will be fine..Then do it up and let me know how it comes out.

yes, i dont feel i went overboard at all. i sprayed VERY light coats so there was no chance of overspray. turned out perfect

wow i must have stuck this headflight in 6 times for like 5 minutes at 325 degrees. still wont even budge off. its a depo with the gray glue. herd thats really hard to get off. any suggestions....

yes i tried that two and saw nothing i`ll try the hair dryer in a few minutes

is there any special way to pry it up cuz it looks like ivwe got most of the sealant off and it still wont budge.

try using a box cutter and go around the seem first,than pry,i start prying up in the inside edge.

Back