• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

changing the starter

robertseber

CEG'er
holy **** has anyone changed the starter on these can i get a how to or something i like to think im mechainicaly inclined but i guess not i can get to the back one but the only way i can see to get the front one off is pull the fuel line two hoses and then get to it with a ratchet wrench any advice will be greatly appreciated

The starter can be removed by only removing the following:

MAF/intake accordion boot/[filter assembly if stock]
MAIN coolant hose from the upper driver's side of the radiator.

Two bolts on the starter, and small hands can bring it straight out and up past the EGR.

VID sent to your email address.

I've removed just about everything on my 2.5L '97, except the main cooling hose. I disconnected the two smaller coolant hoses (think they go to heater core). I cannot get the friggin' starter out!! Is it that simple, removing the main hose to get it out? I have a big flange on the bottom of my starter that gets caught on everything.

Last edited:
FWIW: Fuel lines do not HAVE to be removed. but MAN would it help.

I don't think the coolant hose even had to be removed. I'm almost positive the intake tube assembly had to be removed, and that's it. It was a VERY tight squeeze, but we got the old one out, and the new one in.

Mark

Finally got the starter out. It was pinned between the small coolant output connection out of the engine, tranny housing and a wire harness. I removed the harness hold down and moved the harness toward the left fender. The flange was jamming against the harness. It still was very difficult after the harness relocation. The fuel lines can remain connected, removal of the fuel line support braket is necessary as specified in the removal procedures.

The removal of the main coolant hose was useful after getting the starter past the other junk.

Now off to the next issue:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=65597#post65597

Last edited:
Back