• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission question on a merc villager

darkhorse

New CEG'er
Not contour related so if this isn't appropriate just tell me. I have a '95 villager GL that drives to about 55mph just fine but as soon as you get to the 60- 70mph range the rpms are at 6000 or higher. It's not shifting to fifth gear (or overdrive, not sure). I took it to the dealer and they just said tranny's blown. Which doesn't make any sense to me as it drives both forward and reverse. So I took it to another place and was told it could be the shift solenoid or the rpm sensor. Now my question is how would I check if it's either of those so I could do the work myself.

Not contour related so if this isn't appropriate just tell me. I have a '95 villager GL that drives to about 55mph just fine but as soon as you get to the 60- 70mph range the rpms are at 6000 or higher. It's not shifting to fifth gear (or overdrive, not sure). I took it to the dealer and they just said tranny's blown. Which doesn't make any sense to me as it drives both forward and reverse. So I took it to another place and was told it could be the shift solenoid or the rpm sensor. Now my question is how would I check if it's either of those so I could do the work myself.

a bad transmission doesnt necessarily mean that the car wont drive.

In many cases a bad trans will still go into gear, but wont shift correctly, BTW on most older automatics, there is 4 gears, hence the term "4 speed automatic" 1st, 2nd, 3rd and OD. A lot of newer cars have 5 and 6 speed autos.

I would say something is wrong with your torque converter, either way its a trans rebuild.

Try changing the ATFluid and filter first.

Edit. Mercury Villager is a 4 speed overdrive. You should not have a fifth gear.

Last edited:
Whether the Villager, given it's Quest roots, uses the Ford AODE (Electronic Automatic Overdrive) or not, its got four cogs in the box. While the failure to shift into top gear can be a sign of transmission failure, it often pays to check the cheaper things first. I would look at the vehicle speed sensor as well as the other items you mentioned before springing for a complete rebuild, etc. Oh, and check the fluid -- just to make sure that you don't have a pressure or lubrication issue. One good alternative to a private tranny shop, depending on cost may be a rebuilt trans through Ford and a good private mechanic to install it. Take a look at Ford professionally remanufactured transmissions here:

http://www.motorcraft.com/powertrain_products.do?item=5

Back