• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tach not working

cannondalemtb

Hard-core CEG'er
I just did a full interior swap, including dash. Everything went back together fine, but the tach doesn't work. I'm not sure if the speedo works either (I can't take it on the road to find out.... it's not registered).

So what should I check and double check?

When I swapped dashes, I swapped the original harness into the new dash. In other words... it's the original harness that was in the car. And its the same gauges... I even tried the other set of gauges and its the same problem.

Ok, I was just curious because the gauge cluster wiring did change for 98.5, so if you did any mixing of parts, it could cause these issues.

I just did a full interior swap, including dash. Everything went back together fine, but the tach doesn't work. I'm not sure if the speedo works either (I can't take it on the road to find out.... it's not registered).

So what should I check and double check?

i think the problem is the owner...

...being a (edited by Tony2005)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's Tony2005 to jump all over that comment and delete it?

Anyways... I don't think it's just the tach. I think all the gauges aren't working, but they still light up. I've checked the plug going into the cluster plenty of times and even tried other gauges... idk what's up.

Which of the two plugs on the back of the gauge cluster controls these things? And where do these wires go? Could there be a bad ground or bad connection somewhere else?

Well I was thinking that it might be grounding it. Like a wire could have gotten pinched and it was grounding out on metal, but I think I have ruled that out.

With a practically completely dead battery, the fuse will hold fine and the instrument cluster works. As soon as a good battery goes in, the fuse blows. Somehow fuse 30 is getting too much power which is blowing the fuse. Any ideas what could be doing this?

I also checked the megafuse because I don't think the battery is getting charged when it is running. The fuse looked fine, but it looked like the bolt heads could have been grounding out so I taped it all up.

All this is getting very frustrating since the car was fine before I did the interior swap. I just don't get what went wrong. Everything looks fine and it all went back together fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you checked to make sure all of the insulation is still intact? It is possible a power wire is contacting a ground wire somewhere in the system. It's not like I'm that smart or anything, but I can take a look when I go up next week (hopefully) :p :laugh:

Back