• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Weighed the '00 SVT Contour

I'm stuck with a sunroof that I don't want. It:

* takes ~2" of headroom away. Until I get aftermarket seats, my head will always be touching the lowered headliner. When I wear a helmet, my seat position is all weird just so I can reach the shifter and pedals while I'm strapped to the seat (can't lean forward).

* adds ~30lbs to the tip top of the car, which causes the car to not handle as well as it could... especially in slaloms. I'm almost done with my plexi-glass panel, which cuts about 15lbs off of that... but still....
please post progress and pics :laugh: im very interested, because we all know there's not much mods without going f/i so my plan is to go all n/a and gut it as much as possible while still being a functional dd

wait so the contour without the sunroof give 2 inches of head room??

YES!!!!! thank god

Just look at the headliner of a Contour with a sunroof. You'll see in the backseat of the car where the sunroof assembly ends, the roof suddenly goes up much higher. Picture that, but straight across the interior.

I can't imagine what mine would weigh. I put a power seat in so that would throw off the stock weight. But I've got a ton of stuff in the trunk... easily around 200 pounds. Lots of fluids, other crap, and a full-size spare.

Weight of my svt with a full tank, jack spare and tools snow tires and wheels, three amps, to subs, and some extra stuff was 3231 lbs with a 60 40 split.
n20303248_33110456_3695.jpg

damn..no wonder why they're so slow...thats more than a 1g sho and pushing 2g sho ground. w/20 less hp and 30 less ftlbs:blackeye:

I was surprised how much it actually weighed. I have added a lot of weight in the trunk (three amps, two 10 inch subs in fiberglass boxes) Also I put in sound deadening all over the car the entire floor and door skins and shells. I think it was about 150 lbs total for the sound deadening. So my svt is probably heavier then most.

Weight of my svt with a full tank, jack spare and tools snow tires and wheels, three amps, to subs, and some extra stuff was 3231 lbs with a 60 40 split.
Yeah... looks like you had around 200lbs in the trunk. Also, compared to mine, your front right corner is unusually heavy. Wonder how it compares to other's who have corner weighed.

Here's my post from the old forums...

morbid said:
I had my car corner weighed today. Here's the numbers for those interested. The numbers in ()'s are with me in the car (I currently weigh 217). Also, the car had a little over 1/4 tank. Not much done to reduce weight... the spare + jack was in... I removed my hood liner... removed the fuse box brace (mounted the fuse box under the battery).

Total weight: 2987 (3204)

(FL=front left, RR=rear right, etc...)
FL: 956 (1043) FR: 968 (997)
RL: 524 (598) RR: 538 (568)

Cross...
FL\RR: 1494 (1611)
FR/RL: 1492 (1595)

64.4 / 35.6 front/rear weight distribution (w/o me)
63.7 / 36.3 with me.

For one... I was expecting the car to be around 3100ish with out me. 2987 kinda surprised me
smile.gif
. The front/rear weight distribution kinda sucks... but the cross weight is almost exact (my weight screws it up... need to loose some).

I need to re-weigh the car. Since that time, I've put big heavy brakes on, big light wheels, and some other minor weight reduction... I also weigh 192lbs now :)

I think i have figured out the issue with the weight distributions being weird. My tires are not inflated to proper psi. I will try to get another weight wit proper inflation.

Good point! So I guess to add to my weight post, my tire pressure back then would have been 38f / 34r

Same concept as with coil overs. When you lower the ride height of that corner (with lower tire pressure, or by adjusting the coils) you transfer more weight to it. Less weight is transfered to that corner (distributing it to the other 3) if you have more tire pressure, or if you raise the corner with the coil overs.

Back