• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

think i need need rear struts and springs

volcomsk8a

CEG'er
On the 98 contour in the rear drivers side there is a loud clunk when going over bumps, and a shake when braking. So i lifted up the car in the rear and as the pressure is going off the spring you hear you can hear a clunk every couple of turns on the jack.

Dont know if this is from the sping being shot (can't see any cracks) or a combination of worn spring and strut

Do I need to replace both sides at once?

Also how much am I looking to pay for a pair of spring and struts.

im replacing all four ;/. but yes replace both sides at the same time, go to www.ajusa.com and get the KYB's if you dont wanna spend too much, and look for the spings on ebay, or on here in classifileds.

what other CHEAP things should I be replacing while doing this.

also what about for springs???just go to ford?

I wouldn't be buying springs based on price. What's wrong with you fellows? Are you not aware that our cars have a known spring breakage problem? Never, ever buy used springs.

The clunk you describe "sounds" like a sway bar problem or broken spring. Often, you cannot see a broken spring. Even when you unload the rr suspension, the strut sits on a support on the subframe. First, I'd check the end link bushing at the main arm, the sway bar brackets and bushings and then the sway bar.

An important factor is whether your sway bar is stock or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket, look there before the springs. Even the stock sway bars will eventually deform the brackets and subframe.

you can definitely tell its the spring...the car is sitting about 2 inches lower on that side. I would not buy used springs, but i just felt $60 is a lot for a spring.

So I'm going to get 2 springs and 2 struts...what else should i be replacing while i'm doing this?

The stock strut mounts looked good when I put in my BAT kit. Now the rears knock like a mofo. I bought the replacement mounts and didn't use them. The mistake is doing the R&R twice.

Lesson learned. Do it complete and correct the first time.

Bob

what other CHEAP things should I be replacing while doing this.

also what about for springs???just go to ford?

Replace your Sway bar endlinks in the process, From Bill jenkins those run about $20 a piece. and you need 4. its well worth it.

Back