• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is it worth it to pay to have the alternator changed?

Damien

CEG'er
I saw the how to, and read a bit about the procedure, but to anyone out there that has done this, would you have rather payed someone to do it? here is the story:
I have a 99 contour SE (2.5 MTX) adn I just drove down here to Melbourne Florida. I had just got done changing the waterpump before I came down. Now I get down here and I get the charge fault light coming on anytime I get over 3200 RPM. It seems to be coming on easier the more I drive on it. I know, I know.... classic brushes in the alternator going bad and not meeting up as the RPM's get higher. I am pretty sure it's not the mega fuse or else the light would be on all the time if I'm not mistaken, and I have 2 batteries (one duralast and one SVR gel cell) So I am pretty sure it isn't that. That only leaves the alternator... or the voltage regulator. A local ford dealership quoted me at $440 parts and labor to change the alternator. If I were at home I would do it myself, but here, with the limited tools I brought, and my temper i bring with me everywhere... i am wondering if maybe I should bend over and take it to the stealership?
Anyone that has done this, would you do it again, or pay the money to have it done? I can probably find some tools if I try meeting up with someone from the local car club, but don't know how much help I could get.

personally I never pay to have anything done, unless I know I can't do it myself ... but being on a trip and needing to make sure its done quick I would take it to a dealer, that way at least the work is warrentied in case something happens on your way home

really good point. I am 987 miles from home... I can see the logic in the warranty, plus having them tell me that is whats wrong so that it's covered... like you said, if I was home... I would be under there in my driveway out in the cold doing it myself. Hell, I changed my water pump on Christmas day out in the driveway in the snow. I think it was maybe 25 degrees. But this seems a lot harder.

It's not that hard at all. The how to is put together really well and explains in detail what tools to use for what bolts. If you could borrow some jacks from whoever your staying with do it. Save your money, it only takes a couple of hours of your time or if you have the money, spend and take it to the stealership.

It's not that hard at all. The how to is put together really well and explains in detail what tools to use for what bolts. If you could borrow some jacks from whoever your staying with do it. Save your money, it only takes a couple of hours of your time or if you have the money, spend and take it to the stealership.

Or any of the NUMEROUS bolts he has to take off could be seized, to the point that he cannot remove them. Then he's stewed. Being that you're on a Trip Id say dealership. 300 in labor minimum.

I have done a lot of work on several cars and decided to let the dealer do that job. I have large hands and forearms and doubt I could even get my fingers on two of the bolts.

I called several dealers and found one that quoted about $325 parts and labor - was a no brainer to let them do it. In your situation I would call a couple more dealers to try to get a better price and then pay the piper.

Back