• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Random thought

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Have any of you tried putting your floormats in the washing machine? I would use a gentle cycle, but could still be risky. But I'm thinking it's the best way to get all of the dirt out of it, that has been ground in for years. Vacuum isn't cutting it.

Have you tried a shampooer? Or having them professionally shampooed? With as hard as the SVT mats are to come by, I'd hate to see them get all F'd up in the washing machine.
On the other hand, it just might work.:shrug:

Mark

Bust the hose out and scrub them with warm soapy water. Might have to use some carpet cleaners or carpet stain removers but I wouldn't put them in the washing machine if I were you.

They aren't flexible enough. They won't get thoroughly clean and you could risk breaking your washing machine.

Even if there is no aggrivator in the washing machine? I have a washer/dryer that stack, the washer has no aggrivator and is positioned like a dyer normally would be. Then again the washer gets to like 1100 RPM, dunno how that would do.

Even if there is no aggrivator in the washing machine? I have a washer/dryer that stack, the washer has no aggrivator and is positioned like a dyer normally would be. Then again the washer gets to like 1100 RPM, dunno how that would do.
Not really sure :shrug: The aggrivator at the bottom is what really cleans the clothes. Maybe you could stick the back mats in there since they're a lot smaller, but the front ones are pretty rugged.

Looked up some advice on google and also found this:

How do I Clean my Floor Mats?
Floor mats will provide years of satisfaction with proper care.
Vacuum them regularly to remove loose dirt and debris.
Wash by hand with carpet shampoo and carpet brush, or with a professional carpet extractor.
Do not wash the floor mats in a washing machine, it may damage the machine.

Just wash the mats in the washer and hand dry, the dryer will ruin them the most. Also make sure all the craps out of the washer before you wash your clothes in there.

when i was cleaning up my old car to sell it i tryed useing a power washer on the floor mats. and holy crap did it work. but you must be very very carful not to undo the carpet matting with the high presure

Quarter op high pressure car wash FTW. Use the high pressure rinse setting hang the floor mats on the wall and start at the top and work down. Let the mats hang dry in the sun for a few hours and they should be good as new. Thats how I've done mine for years and never had a problem.

Yeah, I'm at an apartment so no hose. I have put them in the bathtub before, and scrubbed with rags and shampoos. It worked ok, but not as well as I would've liked. Maybe the dishwasher would be a better candidate...:ponder: I could take them to the carwash and use the power-washer, but I'd rather not spend the $ or have to drive somewhere just to wash my floormats. It would be nice to own a steam-cleaner, but those are expensive. Man, I'm thinkin' dishwasher now...:D

I could take them to the carwash and use the power-washer, but I'd rather not spend the $
:confused: It'd be like a buck fiddy(sic), maybe two at the most!

CLASSVT said:
It would be nice to own a steam-cleaner, but those are expensive. Man, I'm thinkin' dishwasher now...:D
A lot of car washes now have carpet shampooers, quite often next to the vaccuums. It shouldn't be that hard to find one.

A buck fitty or free... that's my thinking. It would just be easier to be able to do it all at home, and not drive home with soaking wet floormats in the trunk with my sub.:blackeye:

The carwash near me has a floor mat scrubber. You feed the floor mat into the scrubber machine one at a time and it scrubs the hell out of the mats. I have not tried this personally, but know of some one who says it works well.

A buck fitty or free... that's my thinking. It would just be easier to be able to do it all at home, and not drive home with soaking wet floormats in the trunk with my sub.:blackeye:

wow i must be lucky here to have self serve carwashes that are only 50 cents...

Back