• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stock y-pipe/cat

superrandomguy

New CEG'er
does anyone know if there's supposed to be a spacer type thing between the stock y-pipe and catalytic converter for a contour svt?

when i took my old one out it was one piece, but i bought a new one and it came in 2 pieces (y and cat) and it seems the bolts are made to have a spacer between the 2 parts.

thanks!

Depending on the year, I think there are two styles. The early ones had a donut thing that allowed the exhaust to flex at that joint to compensate for engine movement. The later ones use flex pipe.

Make sure you clearly specify the year. You may even need the build date.

thanks for all the info, i had no idea they changed per year.

i think i remember my old one having a flex pipe, which the current one i just bought doesn't

Depending on the year, I think there are two styles. The early ones had a donut thing that allowed the exhaust to flex at that joint to compensate for engine movement. The later ones use flex pipe.

Make sure you clearly specify the year. You may even need the build date.

from what I have seen

all atx cars have the three bolt y-pipe/cat

all mtx's through 99 have the two bolt y-pipe/cat and the 2ks have the three bolt like the atx

what's missing here?

what's missing here?

as you can see in the picture, the threadless part of the bolts are sticking out a good 1 inch past the holes on the cat...

what part needs to go in there?

i cant pull the y and the cat apart so that the threads line up correctly because when i do that theres about 1/2 inch of space between the 2 pieces

also there's pins holding in the bolts so they cant be moved or removed from the y pipe.

Attachments

• 01-07-08_1917.jpg
    01-07-08_1917.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
there are suppose to be springs to hold the joint together and to let it flax at the same time.

your lucky those studs are in good shape as they normally snap off

i uploaded another picture of how i assume it works...

i'm guessing i'm stuck trying to rig something thatll work.

i only want to put this on temporarily anyways for smog.

Attachments

• cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
its been so long since I have seen the stock bolts. I do believe the spring sits against the cat flange and is retained by the nut.

what you can do it go to an advance or autozone and look in the help section for a crysler exhaust/cat bolt kit. you then remove the stock studs by pulling the pin then you through bolt the cat to the y-pipe. the kit had tappered springs and a nut this a plate on it so that you can tighten it up. it also has a set of nuts that I used as a jamb nut ...

Back