• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

can't put my finger...

Something sounds strange. If there pressure port is on the return line and its reading 100psi bt nothing is coming through, than that cant be right. But... if it is actualy making 100psi its going to force those injectors wide open and dump all that fuel into the cylinder, hence the smoke. Dont run it to much, has you could wash your cylinders. Sounds like Joey may be on the right track with the size of the return port in his block. Keep us posted on what you find.

Something sounds strange. If there pressure port is on the return line and its reading 100psi bt nothing is coming through, than that cant be right. But... if it is actualy making 100psi its going to force those injectors wide open and dump all that fuel into the cylinder, hence the smoke. Dont run it to much, has you could wash your cylinders. Sounds like Joey may be on the right track with the size of the return port in his block. Keep us posted on what you find.

well, i dunno if it means anything, but its pegged past 100. when i do solve this problem, wot would u suggest i do to start driving it again? am thinking remove all the injectors to evaporate the fuel outta the cylinders. Anything else that should be done? in other words, wot parts of the engine gets affected when a car runs extra rich?

Ok before I go any further. Its WHAT, not wot. W.O.T = Wide open throttle. Dont mean to be a spelling nazi, but I have to draw the line in this thread, lol. :laugh:

well, i dunno if it means anything, but its pegged past 100. when i do solve this problem, wot would u suggest i do to start driving it again? am thinking remove all the injectors to evaporate the fuel outta the cylinders. Anything else that should be done? in other words, wot parts of the engine gets affected when a car runs extra rich?

Now to your question. Not much else to do really other than drain the oil. Your oil is probaly saturated with gas. If you pull the dipstick you can probaly pick up the fuel smell in your oil. Don't think there is much else you can do. Draining the oil is pretty important though in this case. You could pull all your plugs and spray them with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner real quick to get the gas of them, or wipe with a rag.

cant take this anymore people!!! am gonna yank my hair out! this car has got a major bug that just doesnt want to be found. am getting to the point of just taking it to a performance shop and just friggn pay the grand or two it would cost to get this thing breathn again! (end of really short frustration rant.)

Well after covering the bases with the MAFS working properly I contacted the SCT to review the datalogs with me because only three things can make the car read high loads and it is RPM, MAF voltage, or engine displacement. We narrowed it down to bad connection between the PCM or PCM is bad. We will measure the voltage at the PCM and at the MAF to see if we see a drop in voltage after we clean plugs and PCM and reconnect them for dirty or bad connections. We will see how good his patience is ,.......lol because wiring issues are a pain in the rear to fix. JOey

any more ideas...

any more ideas...

till i replace a major part of my car? Heres where am at now. if anyone's been following my troubleshootn steps, u'll see i've replaced quite a few things. the fuel situation has been fixed. fuel pressure is about 45psi now. here's where i need some ideas. now the car runs fine on start up. air/fuel is btween 14 and 15 on the wideband. however, a couple minutes later as the car warms up, the wideband slowly starts to move towards the rich band. after a few minutes, its pegged rich.
I did perform a datalog. thing is, the pcm was reading off the chart figures. load was 2-3times the normal amount, MAF n MAP values are way off and so forth. i switched out the MAF for another. same thing. starts up fine, idles fine, runs fine till the temp needle starts to move away from cold. and then it starts to run like crap. i need help bad guys. joey said it could be the computer. before i change this critical piece of my car, are there any other ideas. for those who've changed ur pcm, what were the symptoms?

Kinda of sounds like a tuning/computer issue. Once the car goes into closed loop in goes crazy. Are you using a chip or Xcal? Have you tried re-flashing the pcm? Good to see you have the fuel issue sorted. What are you using for a WB? Make sure its calibrated well. If its a innovate, than you can do a free air cal.

Kinda of sounds like a tuning/computer issue. Once the car goes into closed loop in goes crazy. Are you using a chip or Xcal? Have you tried re-flashing the pcm? Good to see you have the fuel issue sorted. What are you using for a WB? Make sure its calibrated well. If its a innovate, than you can do a free air cal.

hey livin. missed ya! :). u've helped so much. i've been having fun over at the pics forum. the "goodbye" thread to be exact.:) anyway, i do have an xcal 3. i did reload both stock and custom tunes, a few times i might add. Whats a WB tho?

Well we eliminated the tune by returning the car back to stock tune and reinstaling the stock injectors. I also went over the tune before hand and everything look great but I must add the car ran fine for a couple of days. I am leaning towards the bad pcm or a weak connection between the MAF and pcm. The voltages are to high meaning a bad connection would make the pcm generate more power to heat the MAF element up which relates to a higher airflow number. The car idles with a 1.5 to 2.0 load which means that the air going into the engine can fill the cylinders twice or 1 extra bar doubling the fuel output (pulsewidth). If the PCM doesn't resolve the problem I will make him run four wires to the MAF to reassure me the wires aren't breaking down under a load (amps). Whatever went wrong went out like a light switch so we will find the problem and don't even try to bring it to a shop because the price would be unreal. Ask 111R about that after $2000 he still ended up using my tune and ran better and more power . Joey

WE HAVE LIFTOFF LADIES N GENTLEMEN!!! FINALLY! it was the pcm. i'm like schoolgirl happy right now. it was a HUGE process of elimination, but i'm glad i found it. hey joey, livin, brian, jeff, and others who helped. Thanx so much. now i'll install the 42lbs and 80mm MAF and see how it runs. thanx again CEG :)!!!

Last edited:
Cool. Glad to see it fixed. Now be more carefull this time not to fry another pcm. We dont want to do this :censored::censored::censored::censored: again :crazy:

Back