• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

short shifter pre-98

68fordman

CEG'er
just got finished cutting my shifter down to size....i took off almost 3 inches and i love the way it feels....as for the pin holding the reverse-lockout i just drilled it out because i didnt have anything in the garage to press it with that would fit in the carjust drove the car.....DAMN im in love my shifts are so much faster i need to adjust the smoothness of my shifts with it but thats no big deal

i did that back in the day too. i'm sure your aware that its not really a short throw shifter,just a short-er shifter. to change the length of throws the distance from the fulcrum to the end of the shifter were the linkage conncets must be changed.

i did that back in the day too.

Same here, I did this to my 1st gen MX-6. Looking back on it I should have just went out, bought an actual short shifter, and got the functionality out of it. It was my ricer days and I thought it was cool. :nonono:

Same here, I did this to my 1st gen MX-6. Looking back on it I should have just went out, bought an actual short shifter, and got the functionality out of it. It was my ricer days and I thought it was cool. :nonono:
funny thing is,you can use the honda civic sts in a probe/mx6/626. do a ebay search,like 2 dollars plus shipping:laugh:

funny thing is,you can use the honda civic sts in a probe/mx6/626. do a ebay search,like 2 dollars plus shipping:laugh:

i have no money and what money i do have is going towards school and gas to get there...im just trying to get my car the way i want it by soending the least amount of money possible

Yeah I figured that out too after the fact. It was my first car and like I said it was my "ricer" days. Also rather then fixing my mistake I just traded the 6 and started on my Galant.

I later realized to do mods right the first time around. Still to this day the best mod done to my SVT was the B&M.

BTW fordman make sure you realize the civic shifter that pgt was talking about is for the mx-6. Also rather then trying to cut corners to save money, just save up and buy the correct part. It's worth it in the end.

if there was a short-shifter made for the pre-98 (i havent heard of one so dont jump my ass if im wrong) i would have bought it but i was told by a CEG'er that there isnt one

Back