• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rod knock. What are my options?

Black EO

CEG'er
99,300 miles and I've got rod knock. What are my options?

1) Change rod bearings and hope for the best?

2) Find a running motor?

3) Do a 3.0L swap?

4) Rebuild?

I don't know, I want to keep my car, being the original owner and all. But with almost 100K miles, how much sense does it make to spend a ton of money, (although I am willing to spend some), to fix it.

All thoughts are welcomed.

What would something like that cost and what's involved? I'd like to keep my SVT top end and cams, but I understand that complicates the swap.

Nope, the complete SVT top end and valvetrain can be swapped without any issues.

Run a search in the 3.0L forum for cost and whats involved. Thats probably the most FAQ.

the first option you'll want to invest moderately in is your favorite beer.

Then, study up in the 3.0 section.

compile a list of questions you come up with.

post the ones you can't figure out and we'll help you.

Maintain the beer level and rate of consumption to an easy going rate and it will enhance your worried pleasures. :laugh:

Had to serch for this thread, it's been moved....

Ok, I've been reading up on the 3.0L conversion, and I think I'd be interested in doing a 3L hybrid with my SVT heads/cams/intakes.

I checked out 3lduratec.com and $2500 seems abit high for 30-50K miles motor- am I wrong?

Anyways, this wouldn't be something I'd like to take on myself. Anyone have any experience with Chicago area shops who have done this?

If you can tow it up to Grand Rapids, MI I can handle it. Pole120 could probably do it too in the Milwaukee area.

I had rod knock in my 3L last October. I installed new rod bearings and have had no problems in 2000 miles or so. It took me half a day to put in the new bearings. The crankshaft had only slight damage and none of the bearings spun. It's a quick, cheap, and easy fix if you have a space to work in and some time. If it doesn't work you would only be out a few hours and the cost of a set Clevite or Ford OEM bearings.

I had rod knock in my 3L last October. I installed new rod bearings and have had no problems in 2000 miles or so. It took me half a day to put in the new bearings. The crankshaft had only slight damage and none of the bearings spun. It's a quick, cheap, and easy fix if you have a space to work in and some time. If it doesn't work you would only be out a few hours and the cost of a set Clevite or Ford OEM bearings.

How long would you say you had rod knock before fixing it?

Just trying to gauge how long before the crank becomes damaged.

I drove it for almost two weeks with the rod knock. It took me that long to figure out what it was. The knock was intermittent. I would hear it when the throttle was closed and only above 3000 rpm. When I changed the bearings all had some damage. Bearing #6 was the worst as you might guess because it is most distant from the oil pump and #1 had the least damage. I used emery paper to polish the crankshaft before installing the bearings.

I have to say this is a band-aid fix even though I read in another post where someone went 15,000 with out problems after rod knock and a bearing change. I would be happy mine lasts 10,000 miles.

If changing bearings works at least you have a car to drive while evaluating options for a new motor.

Had to serch for this thread, it's been moved....

Ok, I've been reading up on the 3.0L conversion, and I think I'd be interested in doing a 3L hybrid with my SVT heads/cams/intakes.

I checked out 3lduratec.com and $2500 seems abit high for 30-50K miles motor- am I wrong?

Anyways, this wouldn't be something I'd like to take on myself. Anyone have any experience with Chicago area shops who have done this?

It isn't a stock motor that we resell, it's a prepped and ported 3L ready to drop in. The site clearly indicates that. Stock motors do not bolt in! BTW you could ship the car directly to us and we could pull the old motor and install the new one. PM or email me for more info if you are interested. We are only about 6hrs from the Chicago area.

Last edited:
It isn't a stock motor that we resell, it's a prepped and ported 3L ready to drop in. The site clearly indicates that. Stock motors do not bolt in! BTW you could ship the car directly to us and we could pull the old motor and install the new one. PM or email me for more info if you are interested. We are only about 6hrs from the Chicago area.

I'll tell ya, if you were closer, I'd probably bring it over.

Back