• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The story behind this tour?

And Rick is enjoying family life these days.

Oh, I'm still on here on a daily basis, I just don't post much anymore. Not sure why I don't, but there really hasn't been much going on with my car that I can post about. Don't worry however, as there is something still going on with it ;)

As far as the rollover goes, that thing surfaces about once a year now. It was a pretty rookie mistake that led to the rollover. Cold tires, cold track, cold brain adds up to turning in too early, going a little too fast, and sliding out the back of the turn. Had this been on a full size track, chances are I'd have had enough runoff room to avoid damaging the car. As it was, on a go-kart track, the tirewall was about 15 feet off the racing surface and only tall enough to stop a go-kart so I rode up on it, rotated sideways, and then had the unfortunate luck to catch a full size wooden fence post square in the drivers door causing the car to actually roll.

That car had a few goodies on it, but was stock engine and transmission wise. The day before that video, we'd spent about 12 hours putting on koni's and GC's. My current car was pretty much mostly made possible by the death of that car so it's been a pretty ironic twist of fate that's led me here.

Thanks for the kind words guys and gals. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, but I just wanted to let you know that my lack of posting doesn't mean I'm not around.

Rick

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Rick, do you have a copy of the vid you guys took of cutting the car up or even pictures? That'd be a cool thing to see.

i think it would be easy to roll the contour...lol. my car when i first got it (stock) i was pushing the limmits on a freeway on ramp (20mph limit) and was going (possibly faster) (maybe not) and i spun backward.....if i had real tires, it probably woulda went over because the skid marks showed the right rear wheel was off the ground (inside rear, right hand corner) very scary. and man, he looked upset. cool video though!

It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that the GC's weren't bored out to the proper dimension to fit down on the koni bodies so we have to use a sanding drum to make the two fit together. That alone took 3-4 hours, plus it was a mod day so we had numerous things going on.

Rick

It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that the GC's weren't bored out to the proper dimension to fit down on the koni bodies so we have to use a sanding drum to make the two fit together. That alone took 3-4 hours, plus it was a mod day so we had numerous things going on.

Rick

Oh well we were using ghetto springs compressors that took a 1/5 hours to compress and another 1/2 to undo, so like 1.5 hours to disassemble and reassemble a strut and spring, that sucked.

Back