• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Could anyone in the chicagoland area test drive my CSVT?

naujcdl

No, I'm not the coffee guy
and tell me if i need to bully around with this code P0420 situation more than i already want to?

You see... after reading tons of info on here, i am more lost than finding a solution to take on this.

To start out, i don't have the cash for headers, second, don't have the time to futz around with a set of used headers that could become a problem later on if i replace mine and third before i install MIL's or headers or else could anyone with the same problem before and similar stock setup test my car out and see if there is any drop in engine output/performance?

My car is a 1999 CSVT, 75k, well maintained, the only problem is the P0420 code and it is about the firewall cat...all new plugs/wires, new oil, IAC/EGR valves just cleaned, new gaskets, good fuel injector in it, good gas in it, new fuel filter and the car is not beat on (if that matters).

The only mod is a SRI, which is like two weeks old...this cat failure problem is about 6 months old now...and now all three sensors are replaced and nothing.

Also, i hear that the Denso o2 sensors are better than Bosch at reading the levels of the exhaust thus could be a problem too...but even with the original ones it gave me that problem...

Man, i am like not desperate but the one thing i do know is that i don't drive like a maniac, don't like to be at the pump so often but i barely get 245 miles to the tank (at 12.25 avg gallons at every fill-up) and fill up again...i thought these were to get close to 300 and this thing did at one point back in March...no codes yet then...

Thanks for anyone who is willing to drive an awesome machine :laugh::rolleyes: I can drive to you, so long you are not in like god knows where away from Chicagolandish area. I am in elk grove village.

If someone wants to go I might be able to ride with, but i'm not expert, I just clear mine when I get it now an then, my uncle who is a mechanic tells me it's a bad cat that should be replaced... which is probably true since it's @ 110K 1999 CSVT

there are also several reasons why that code can come up.. if your intake manifolds are dirty and your plugs/ wires are old it can cause that code to come up.. OR if oil is somehow getting by it can cause that code too (ah.. heem PRT).. or if you have some real massive vaccume leak.. But it sounds like the cat is just shot..

But it sounds like the cat is just shot..

I would agree. If you replaced both the upper and lower sensors on the firewall side and the code still comes back after clearing the computer, the cat is likely gone. That's the whole point of those sensors, anyway. If the car was built/sold in 2000 you may still be able to get the converter replaced under the 8yr/80k mile federal emissions warranty. I'm not sure how the vehicle's age is equated into the warranty, so you'll probably want to call around and check first.

I already did go the dealership back in juneish... and the car was built, not sure on when into action on the streets, in March 1999.

So yeah, they told me the car just fell out of warranty, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I am not sure but at this point i either find someone with a set of gutted cats or cry and pay for headers and MIL's and get this crap out of my way...

But i would still like someone with experience to be honest and say what may be recommended, i may look at the plugs tomorrow and see if there is any oil on them or something or any other problem.

Will let you guys know, until then, looking for candidates to drive this svt. :laugh:

Also, if the cat is really shot to death as we are deducting here, it would really make the car feel not the same at acceleration and like exhaust output? Things i think of now and then...i like to know the why's to these things.

our last SVT has been running pretty unhappy as well since we came back from IL when Wayne followed me in my SVT when we had to deliver the car to the transporters.

Waynes car has the "system too lean, bank 1" code... anytime he coasted or downshifted to slow down the car to a stop would clunk out unless he kept reving like a fiend.

I already read this thread - http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=23172&highlight=lean

not sure where I should start... I did clear the code and thats about it .... I will mention that on the day it started acting up I did install a BAT fuel cap which was previously on my car and didnt effect anything. Wayne thinks its just the cap because he thought it felt like it was having fuel issues to him

any advice? anyone who knows us knows that I'm going to have to fix this as all he does is just drive something and cant stand working on or talking about cars.

thanks in advance. (sorry to hi-jack- figured maybe they are related)

Ok, I may have some cash, if i decide to go with the headers route...now, how much to install or someone with more experience, as i don't have any with this type of install and second: no space, apt, no garage...hehe.

I am so sad now thinking about it...

So today, i am checking on two things, from the outside of the car, a leak by the fuel pump/tank and see if there is leaks...although i am not sure on this being a problem concurrent to the rest of others i mentioned in this post and another.

I bring this up, DUE to the lower miles per tank i have been getting lately...

I'll let you guys know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So today, i am checking on two things, from the outside of the car, a leak by the fuel pump/tank and see if there is leaks...although i am not sure on this being a problem concurrent to the rest of others i mentioned in this post and another.

I'll let you guys know.

Thanks.

Just don't use a match to help look for leaks

I got to drive "dacker" 2000 Green SVT and it was just as the same, no performance/output problems, very glad of this. Next i will have Ford reflash the ECU with their "updated" version and see what happens.

Thanks!

Back