• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

slipping clutch?

97vulcan

CEG'er
I was giving the car a bit in 2nd gear today with the petal to the floor, when all of a sudden the RPMS went to redline for a second or two, then cough up with the gear again. This has never happened, however I have been experiencing some surging through certain gears as I push the accelerator down farther. Does this mean my clutch is going or what?

Thanks,
Adam

well that sucks!:nonono: . Why would it just let loose in 2nd gear like that, and then grab again?? Hopefully it will last until springtime. Is my best bet to buy an SVT clutch from Bill at Team? and take it to a shop and have them install? Does anyone know of any good shops that do clutch work in the Milwaukee area or a bit further out?

Thanks,
Adam

well that sucks!:nonono: . Why would it just let loose in 2nd gear like that, and then grab again?? Hopefully it will last until springtime. Is my best bet to buy an SVT clutch from Bill at Team? and take it to a shop and have them install? Does anyone know of any good shops that do clutch work in the Milwaukee area or a bit further out?

Thanks,
Adam

The clutch will lose grip in mostly the higher gears because of the gear ratio when it starts to go out.

As for the install, i can do it, you wanted headers installed too right? That's the perfect time to do it. ;)

The clutch will lose grip in mostly the higher gears because of the gear ratio when it starts to go out.

As for the install, i can do it, you wanted headers installed too right? That's the perfect time to do it. ;)

Pick me! Pick me! OHHHHH PICK ME!!!!!! My clutch is fine (knock on wood) but you can install headers if you want. Free cat if you do!

Pick me! Pick me! OHHHHH PICK ME!!!!!! My clutch is fine (knock on wood) but you can install headers if you want. Free cat if you do!

Can't get you in until spring. Shop has three cars in it right now in various states of assembly/disassembly. Even in spring I've got a motor swap scheduled for as soon as the snow stops and the rest of it's filling up quickly as well. :help:

Back