• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

porter cable pad question

BrApple

No Life But CEG
ok, so my parents got or rather will be picking me up a porter cable for christmas. There found it at tools plus for a great price. Now I have read here that the pad that comes with it is junk and I shouldn't bother with it. So my question is what pads should I get. I am thinking that the velco adaptor would be a good thing to pick up.

Now mainly all I will need the PC for is appling polish so I know that I don't need anything abrasive. I figure I will need at least one light abrasive pad so that I can use the Zaino Paint cleaner I have on the Mystique. My SeVT with fresh paint and my SVT with original paint in great condition will only need polish.

so any suggests on which pads to go with ?

The top two producers of foam pads are Lake Country and Edge. I've used both and prefer Edge because their adapter eliminates the backing plate allowing better workability and essentially provides two pads in one (When one side of the pad gets dirty and gunked up just simply snap it off the adapter, and snap the other side back on the adapter).

I purchased my Edge pads a la carte from Autogeek.net The "Geek" does offer some kits too but I didn't see the need for the included pad cleaners and pad conditioners when I already own similar products. I would check out their 6 inch DA foam pads (the non-wave ones). http://www.autogeek.net/edge20006.html

The top two producers of foam pads are Lake Country and Edge. I've used both and prefer Edge because their adapter eliminates the backing plate allowing better workability and essentially provides two pads in one (When one side of the pad gets dirty and gunked up just simply snap it off the adapter, and snap the other side back on the adapter).

I purchased my Edge pads a la carte from Autogeek.net The "Geek" does offer some kits too but I didn't see the need for the included pad cleaners and pad conditioners when I already own similar products. I would check out their 6 inch DA foam pads (the non-wave ones). http://www.autogeek.net/edge20006.html
I've always gone with Lake Country.. but did not know you could go both sided with the Edge pads! Need to get me some of those :cool:

Autogeek is the sh*t. They have some good deals on orange LC pads.

Last edited:
The white pad that comes with the Porter-Cable units is a fine light polishing pad -- it's quite similar to a standard Lake Country white -- but it's just handier to get a backing plate so you can easily switch a variety of pads.

ok, so my parents got or rather will be picking me up a porter cable for christmas. There found it at tools plus for a great price. Now I have read here that the pad that comes with it is junk and I shouldn't bother with it. So my question is what pads should I get. I am thinking that the velco adaptor would be a good thing to pick up.

Now mainly all I will need the PC for is appling polish so I know that I don't need anything abrasive. I figure I will need at least one light abrasive pad so that I can use the Zaino Paint cleaner I have on the Mystique. My SeVT with fresh paint and my SVT with original paint in great condition will only need polish.

so any suggests on which pads to go with ?

Hah I can't believe I'm answering this. But trying using the 6.5 inch lc ccs pads or the 5.5 inch ccs pads.

Hah I can't believe I'm answering this. But trying using the 6.5 inch lc ccs pads or the 5.5 inch ccs pads.

then why did you answer :shrug: I knew that I needed a 5.5 or 6.5 inch pad, I was looking for brand and cut recomendations.

Brian, If you troll over at SVT Performance check out the Show and Shine Forum. There is a member that sells product, many have been very happy. There are suggestions and a few links. Just have to look around. Members get 10% discount I believe from this guy. I believe his usewr name is Scott P. here is his site.

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/index.html

i really like my lake country pads. from hard to soft, i have 2 orange, 2 white, 1 black and 1 red. black is for glaze and red for sealent/wax.

i got a pad kit from properautocare dot com

Back