• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0340 Cam sensor..After motor detail

fordman302

Hard-core CEG'er
Well i tryed that Gunk engine cleaner today did everything like i read spray all over let sit..All done on cool dry motor..Rinse off i let the car run to heat up since i wasnt in the mood for driving then i noticed CEL was on so i plugged in the Xcal2 P0340..CEG to the rescue Cam shaft position sensor..I will more than likely try to replace it but does anyone know as to why i would get this code..In all my times of detailing the motor i try somthing new and i get this..
Thanks in advance..Joe..

EDIT: After resetting code 2 times it still comes back and i unplugged and blew out the plug.

Last edited:
at least its an easy fix! I think it was 10 bucks at napa.

Ya I dunno, just a lil magnet with a wire attached to it I think.

The housing looks pretty solid on them though. Maybe it was the lil buggers time to go.

My best guess is the water hit the wire, witch finally pulled it off the magnet assembly.

Well me and Fordman replaced the sensor today and still getting the same code..Wires look to be ok..

Well turned out to be a crank sensor..Replaced that and runs better and no CEL..hasnt come back on yet..Knock on Wood..But still does anyone know as to why the crank sensor would be bad is the code was for the Cam sensor..I read up on FCO about it that they work together and can trigger the other one to throw out a CEL??

well assuming the crank sensor is just giving an off reading (and isn't completely busted/shorted out) the cam sensor is going to be giving a reading that is off relative to the crank sensor, (Even though its correct) tripping the code for the cam sensor, but not the crank sensor. (which is still functioning, just inaccurate)

well assuming the crank sensor is just giving an off reading (and isn't completely busted/shorted out) the cam sensor is going to be giving a reading that is off relative to the crank sensor, (Even though its correct) tripping the code for the cam sensor, but not the crank sensor. (which is still functioning, just inaccurate)
The only way for this to happen is if the wires are unsheathed and one is touching another (before going to the PCM). I suggest you check the wiring again.

Back