• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blown Engine... need some advice/help.

ghosstryda

New CEG'er
well, about a month ago, my svt gave up the ghost... the dealership service dept told me that i had low compression in 5 out of 6 of my cylinders and it would cost me $7400 to put in a new motor and get her back to running tip top.... the reaction i had when i first heard the quote made me gag and disgusted me... i know that the dealer is trying to rape me and i wont let it happen.

does anyone have a good source for a svt motor preferrablly in CA, even better if in LA/SoCal. worse come to worst, i will just offer the car for sale as a parts car, which i would hate to do... :(

now is a great time for a 3L!!! you can get them cheap out of low mileage totaled cars. I'm sure guys in your local area would help you put it in. also there are svt motors for sale from time to time in the classifieds. and have help putting that in as well. saves you tons of cash. search around, check out the 3L section and stuff. I'm sure more people will chime in here with better info.

yeah..drop a 3L in,and upgraded tranny/diff. and still cut the bill by more than half. or you can sell me the front fenders and bumper:laugh:

Did your engine overheat? Also, sometimes the compression will drop when the gas washes oil out of the piston rings because it wouldn't start.

Did your engine overheat? Also, sometimes the compression will drop when the gas washes oil out of the piston rings because it wouldn't start.
Yeah, why did you originally take it to the dealer? There may not be anything really wrong with your motor except a bad fuel pressure regulator or some other simple thing. Especially since your low compression readings are on BOTH sides of the engine. I wouldn't suspect both head gaskets letting go simultaneously.
Karl

Yeah, why did you originally take it to the dealer? There may not be anything really wrong with your motor except a bad fuel pressure regulator or some other simple thing. Especially since your low compression readings are on BOTH sides of the engine. I wouldn't suspect both head gaskets letting go simultaneously.
Karl

omg... i think you might be onto something... i had no choice but to bring the svtc to the dealership... the dealership was totally clueless and they said they put some oil in the motor and it ran... :confused: i see you are in rh, i am your neighbor in hh. i've never ever seen another svtc in my neck of the woods!

Last edited:
spare

spare

you could also part out your car and pick up another already 3L and start having fun. the good thing is you will have lots of spare parts !!!!

i'd get a second opinion if i were u. more oil and it runs again? not adding up. am not saying they're lying. i'd just ask someone else just to make sure.
The engine lost compression and cylinders "washed out". It happens quite often with older engines. Adding a teaspoon or two in two of the cylinders, then reinstalling the sp, usually helps to start the car again. It was quite evident when he had 5 out of 6 cylinders with low compression. The first mechanic probably did not put two and two together but the second one probably recognized it immediately or checked with contour.org. :laugh:

omg... i think you might be onto something... i had no choice but to bring the svtc to the dealership... the dealership was totally clueless and they said they put some oil in the motor and it ran... :confused: i see you are in rh, i am your neighbor in hh. i've never ever seen another svtc in my neck of the woods!
Yeah, RH and I probably have the only SVTC in that town. I cruise through HH all the time on Colima or up through some of the canyon roads there. Which dealer did you take your car to? There aren't any SVT dealers nearby and if you took it to a regular dealer it's good to know they didn't turn you away because you had an SVT car.
Karl

Back