• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How Many Quarts of Manual tranny oil?

It is either 2.1 or 2.8 quarts, but it depends on the revision of the MTX-75. I'm not sure when the revision was made. The best way to know how much fluid is to make sure the car is level, then fill the trans until fluid spills out the fill hole.

Tranny fluid

Tranny fluid

Hetfield's recommendation to fill to the top is right on. You need 3 qts to do this, so you will have a little extra left over. The ONLY recommended fluid to use is MOTORCRAFT FULL SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, Part number XT-M5-QS, or 'golden honey'. It is expensive, but much cheaper than any transmission repairs will ever be. This will also help to preserve the easy shifting of the MTX-75 tranny and reduce the stiffness that seems to occur with other transmission fluids.

there are 2 fluids recommended. ford's witch i have and doesn't like real cold weather. and royal purple Synchromax, witch seems to like the cold better from what i have read. those 2 are very closely matched in recommendations.

Ford TSB M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip

Ford TSB M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip

00-1-9 M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip
Fluid/Service Tip
Article No. 00-1-9

01/10/00

TRANSAXLE-MTX-75-NEW TRANSAXLE

FLUID-SERVICE TIP

FORD: 1995-2000 CONTOUR

MERCURY: 1996-2000 COUGAR, MYSTIQUE

ISSUE
Several internal changes have beem implemented on the MTX-75 transaxle to improve shift efforts. These changes have resulted in the need for a new synthetic transmission fluid for ALL sevice operations.

ACTION
Use only the new fluid when performing any service on Cougars and Contours/Mystiques built after January 1, 2000. Refer to the following for additional details.
A new synthetic fluid is required when topping off the fluid level or whenever the transmission is being repaired or replaced in service in vehicles built after January 1, 2000. This new fluid(XT-M5-QS(1L/quart)) can easily be identified by its "honey" color as opposed to the reddish fluid used previously. The new synthetic fluid(XT-M5-QS(1l/quart)) is fully compatible with earlier (1995-2000 model year) Transaxles and fluid. It is recommended that this new synthetic fluid (XT-M5-QS(1L/quart)) be used exclusively in all model year MTX-75 transaxles when filling a fully drained unit, or when topping off a low fluid level.

PART NUMBER PART NAME XT-M5-QS Transaxle Fluid (1L/quart)

This is a copy of the Ford TSB concerning their recommedation for which transmission fluid to use. In speaking with Terry Haines, who I believe knows as much as anyone about these transaxles, he emphasized that only 'golden honey' should be used to minimize any potential shifting problems that seem to occur with other fluids. Based on these recommendations, I changed to the Ford fluid when I first got the SVT, as I was experiencing some stiffness in shifting. The balkiness/hesitation in shifting gears disappeared immediately and has not returned, even in what passes for cold down here. Nowhere in this TSB or from any other source have I seen another fluid recommended for exclusive use in these trannys.

00-1-9 M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip
Fluid/Service Tip
Article No. 00-1-9

01/10/00

TRANSAXLE-MTX-75-NEW TRANSAXLE

FLUID-SERVICE TIP

FORD: 1995-2000 CONTOUR

MERCURY: 1996-2000 COUGAR, MYSTIQUE

ISSUE
Several internal changes have beem implemented on the MTX-75 transaxle to improve shift efforts. These changes have resulted in the need for a new synthetic transmission fluid for ALL sevice operations.

ACTION
Use only the new fluid when performing any service on Cougars and Contours/Mystiques built after January 1, 2000. Refer to the following for additional details.
A new synthetic fluid is required when topping off the fluid level or whenever the transmission is being repaired or replaced in service in vehicles built after January 1, 2000. This new fluid(XT-M5-QS(1L/quart)) can easily be identified by its "honey" color as opposed to the reddish fluid used previously. The new synthetic fluid(XT-M5-QS(1l/quart)) is fully compatible with earlier (1995-2000 model year) Transaxles and fluid. It is recommended that this new synthetic fluid (XT-M5-QS(1L/quart)) be used exclusively in all model year MTX-75 transaxles when filling a fully drained unit, or when topping off a low fluid level.

PART NUMBER PART NAME XT-M5-QS Transaxle Fluid (1L/quart)

This is a copy of the Ford TSB concerning their recommedation for which transmission fluid to use. In speaking with Terry Haines, who I believe knows as much as anyone about these transaxles, he emphasized that only 'golden honey' should be used to minimize any potential shifting problems that seem to occur with other fluids. Based on these recommendations, I changed to the Ford fluid when I first got the SVT, as I was experiencing some stiffness in shifting. The balkiness/hesitation in shifting gears disappeared immediately and has not returned, even in what passes for cold down here. Nowhere in this TSB or from any other source have I seen another fluid recommended for exclusive use in these trannys.

And so I should only run Motorcraft 5W20 in my engine? That's the only engine oil that Ford "recommends".

Let's get real here. Ford Honey is far from the only fluid that will perform well in our transmissions.

For that matter, I can't bring myself to put 5W20 in the engine either, not with as many miles as I already had on it when the TSB recommending it appeared. I will say that 5W20 is fine in the Escape though, but it started life with it. And I seldom use Motorcraft engine oil in my car. It's good oil though, but I'm not locked into it.

Back on the topic of this thread, the quantity is 2.7 quarts up until late 99 or early 00 when it changed to 2.2 quarts. Yes, you can get away with a little more, however when I ran three quarts I had a trace weap along the trans case split line. It went away with less fluid.

Last edited:
Factory Recommendation

Factory Recommendation

The questions as to which fluid is recommended is answered in the TSB. What you choose to use is up to you. And why not use 5W-20? If you change your oil and filter regularly, it will do the job, give you less rotating friction when the engine is running, and better oil flow during startup. The synthetics available today are so superior to petroleum based oils, there is no comparison. Just because an engine has high miles is no valid reason to deviate from what the factory recommends. If you do so, it is just to satisfy yourself as to how you feel your engine should be treated.

5W30 was recommended when the car was new. Ford certainly won't be stepping up with any warranty money if the engine starts acting up with a different oil. 5W20 may indeed work very well, and I'm an advocate with thinner is better, I'm just having trouble with making the change with high millage. Who knows, 20 years from now there may be controversy over if -10W10 is too thin.

I disagree about the superiority of today's synthetic oils vs today's conventional oils. Conventional oils have improved so much over the last few years that the performance difference between synthetic and conventional is nearly non-existent. Synthetic's advantage today are at temperature extremes and extended drain intervals. Actually, today's conventional oils use base stocks that darn near are synthetic, and some synthetics are nearly synthetic in name only.

just because FORD said so doesn't mean thats the end of it. the consumers know more about there cars then the manufacture sometimes as far as what products works best. ford recommends the use of only motorcraft parts. well i wonder why, its there brand!

stop living off all-data and read the facts on this site.

not trying to be a ass, just stating facts and opinions.

Last edited:
The questions as to which fluid is recommended is answered in the TSB. What you choose to use is up to you. And why not use 5W-20? If you change your oil and filter regularly, it will do the job, give you less rotating friction when the engine is running, and better oil flow during startup.

The last part is not true. Both have a cold rating of 5, which means up to 100-150 degrees F, they have the same flow characteristics.

5w20 is thinner when HOT.

Ford switched to 5w20 to meet increasingly stringent CAFE guidelines. By recommending the thinner oil, they were able to marginally increase fuel efficiency throughout its product line, and still ensure adequate lubrication that will provide a reasonable service life. Of course, all that means to them is it will outlast the warranty.

I live in NJ where temperatures range from about 15 degrees on the coldest days of winter to the mid 90s in July, and I use 0w30 year round in all my cars. It provides the best startup lubrication because of its low cold viscosity, and when warm, it acts like any other 30 weight oil. 0w40 is also something i would consider.

The last part is not true. Both have a cold rating of 5, which means up to 100-150 degrees F, they have the same flow characteristics.

5w20 is thinner when HOT.

Ford switched to 5w20 to meet increasingly stringent CAFE guidelines. By recommending the thinner oil, they were able to marginally increase fuel efficiency throughout its product line, and still ensure adequate lubrication that will provide a reasonable service life. Of course, all that means to them is it will outlast the warranty.

I live in NJ where temperatures range from about 15 degrees on the coldest days of winter to the mid 90s in July, and I use 0w30 year round in all my cars. It provides the best startup lubrication because of its low cold viscosity, and when warm, it acts like any other 30 weight oil. 0w40 is also something i would consider.

There is probably a little more to this discussion.

Both 5W20 and 5W30 have the same thickness (viscosity) when tested at the temperature that the W ratings are tested at. (Actually, it is withing a range of thickness. Some oils tend to be at the top of the range, and others at the bottom of the range.) One would act like an SAE 20 at the temperature that SAE ratings are taken, and the other like an SAE 30.

When at in-between temperatures, the one rated SAE 30 would be marginally thicker, so shaggist comment about 5W20 flowing better would be very marginally correct in my climate. However, I don't think the difference is enough to even consider.

I am an advocate of thinner oils when specified by the automaker. I am not in agreement that 5W20 is inferior to 5W30. It may be CAFE requirements that led into the their development, but as thinner oils have become more common, test reports show that there has been no loss in engine durability. If anything, they protect the engine better on engines designed for their use.

On my own car, I chose not to make a change when it already had over 100,000 miles on it. This is a precaution that may not be necessary.

I believe the 0W30 would also be a good choice for my car, and I would probably use it if I lived in Montana, North Dakota, or Canada.

I also believe that 0W40 would not be a good choice, as it is too thick for this engine at normal operating temperatures. It will diminish engine performance without offering any additional protection.

Even thinner oil is on the horizon. As one automotive engineer told me, think in terms of "slippery water". Twenty years from now we may very well debate if it is safe to use -10W10 as recommended in the owner's manual.

Back