• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Idle Issues

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
What sort of things would cause a SVT to stay at around 2K RPM for over 15-20 seconds at idle. Changed the IAC, and new autolite plugs, same thing...

yep, I have the same exact problem (except for the fact that I haven't replaced my IAC) I did the TH fix and it worked for about three weeks, now the car is idling through first gear, into second and up to about 15-20mph, not as bad as before (and acts like a automatic cruise control for any speed below 1500-2000rpm) Its a duratec 1995 tour. I don't have time, i'm a student and I also don't have much for tools. can I take it to a mechanic? (dad has a few friends who are) I just want my car to drive like its supposed to! so tired of this problem.

same problem here......done EVERYTHING (yes, IAC is a new OEM unit, no its not a vaccuum leak and not the PCV either) except replace computer. According to my datastream, the iac motor is being requested to rais the idle to that for some reason but I have checked the input parameters and they are all well within spec so I would assume that it is a programming error and needs to be reflashed. Just haven't had the time to take it to ford.....besides I dont trust the ford dealer here.

Check the little rubber hose from the PCV to the brass tube under the T-body. They get old and crack. Also the LIM & UIM gaskets can leak as they age. I'd do an UIM/LIM rebuild and replace that small hose and inspect the colored hard vac lines on the back side of the UIM.

Not to sound like a complete moron here, but is it just me or does my 98 se tour 2.5l not have a pcv valve anywhere. my haynes manual shows a pcv valve for the 2.5l engine in a hose connected to the oil separator mounted under the lim, but I see nothing even with the air filter box completely removed. am i blind???

Turned out to be my TPS..I put my buddy kyles TB and TPS on my car and its fine now..I put my TB and TPS on his car and it runs fine it doesnt do what mine was doing kinda weird..

Well, as stated, it wass Joe's car(fordman302) and i was posting for him since he was at work... we put my throttle body on it with a new TPS, and it seems to now be fixed, only issue i have is that the old TPS is on my car, and I dont have the same problem!

Back