• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Body, sheet metal changes: What fits a '98?

manowell

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have a '98 Mystique that my son is driving. Well, WAS driving until he drove it into something. Nobody hurt, and the car not even hurt except for hood, headlights, etc.

Looking for 1998 parts I'm coming up short on some.

So, the question: When did Mercury change hood/grille/fender designs on this? Will a '98 hood fit? A '99 bumper?

I would assume from the other Ford products that I've owned that there's a 3-4 year window of interchangeable parts. Anybody know?

Thanks!

from what I understand and have compaired any 98+ front bumper will fit, although the design is different around the area of the fog lamps, etc

fenders are all the same for post 98's

the hood is different as is the grill and headlights and most likely the structure behind the headlights.

but you need to stay with 98+ parts as the pre98 are completely different

from what I understand and have compaired any 98+ front bumper will fit, although the design is different around the area of the fog lamps, etc

fenders are all the same for post 98's

the hood is different as is the grill and headlights and most likely the structure behind the headlights.

but you need to stay with 98+ parts as the pre98 are completely different

how i wish the post 98 mystique hood fits tours. in case few have examined one closely, its a very stylish hood. would look great on csvts.

I don't think that they do match. The Mystique seems to have a different cut to the headlamps. Though I do admit to not having looked very closely because I've never had to.
No. They are the same. The only difference in the headlights is the part thats right next to the grille. The Mystique is just a diagonal edge. The Contour is a rounded edge to fit the headlight. The fenders are the same.:cool:

I don't think that they do match. The Mystique seems to have a different cut to the headlamps. Though I do admit to not having looked very closely because I've never had to.

No. They are the same. The only difference in the headlights is the part thats right next to the grille. The Mystique is just a diagonal edge. The Contour is a rounded edge to fit the headlight. The fenders are the same.:cool:

this is correct. ctmystique put a contour fender on his mystique when it got damaged and needed to be replaced.

we also compaired the top of the front bumper and its the same as the contour. the difference is the grill on the mystique comes out to the edge of the bumper.

So, to sum up:

Any '98 or LATER Mystique or Contour parts will work, with the exception of the headlights, grille, and hood, which have to be Mystique?

so lets get this straight... according to wot i've read here, i can totally turn the front end of ma tour to a mystique's, and i'd still be able to use my svt bumber just by getting the structure behind the headlight for a mystique?

So, to sum up:

Any '98 or LATER Mystique or Contour parts will work, with the exception of the headlights, grille, and hood, which have to be Mystique?

the hood grill and headlights all need to come from the same type of car, ie contour or mystique to work, fenders are all the same and the front bumpers are different but are interchangable

so lets get this straight... according to wot i've read here, i can totally turn the front end of ma tour to a mystique's, and i'd still be able to use my svt bumber just by getting the structure behind the headlight for a mystique?

yes, and you would need the headlights and hood. the hood latch is also located in a different possition iirc, but I believe that will be taken care of by the panel the headlights mount to.

also like I said there was a member that bolted a SVT bumper to his mystique and locally to me I have seen either a mystique with svt bumpers and guages and se side skirts or a SVT with se side skirts and mystique headlights and hood, couldn't really tell.

yes, and you would need the headlights and hood. the hood latch is also located in a different possition iirc, but I believe that will be taken care of by the panel the headlights mount to.

also like I said there was a member that bolted a SVT bumper to his mystique and locally to me I have seen either a mystique with svt bumpers and guages and se side skirts or a SVT with se side skirts and mystique headlights and hood, couldn't really tell.

really? i'd like to see one actually; a mystique front end with an SVT bumper. i don't remember ever laying ma eyes on one.

really? i'd like to see one actually; a mystique front end with an SVT bumper. i don't remember ever laying ma eyes on one.

do a little searching this has come up several times http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15336&highlight=mystique

front01.jpg

Last edited:
Back