• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heater Core issue?

jdfet

CEG'er
Hi All!
I have looked over the FAQ's but was not able to find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 96 GL and recently I have smelled that sweet smell of coolant. My coolant level goes down very quickly after filling and then there is no heat until I refill it.
No spots on the ground, and I cannot smell it from the inside, only outside.
If it is the heater core, wouldnt it be leaking inside the cabin? I have 80k on it and got it at about 10k, otherwise runs like a champ. Its winter time here (Chicagoland area), and so heat is lets just say nice to have. lol Again, I have looked through the FAQ's and have not found any exact info. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Do you smell any coolant by the tailpipe? If you're only smelling it outside, to me, the engine is burning it in the combustion chamber, = bad head gasket.
Is this 2.0 or 2.5 engine?

It is the 2.0. The smell is only in the front of the car.
Thats what I think (headgasket). I have gone through a 50/50 bottle of anti-freeze in about a week and a half.
If this the headgasket, any ideas on cost? I am 'mechanically inclined' but have not done this before on a small front wheel drive.

Ok, how about this...... how can Iknow if it is the water pump or the heater core?? Lokks like its a long job to do the water pump....
Does the pump have to be removed to change the impeller? Is it easier to check the heater core first? No puddles in the floor yet.

Ok, how about this...... how can Iknow if it is the water pump or the heater core?? Lokks like its a long job to do the water pump....
Does the pump have to be removed to change the impeller? Is it easier to check the heater core first? No puddles in the floor yet.

A blown waterpump usually will increase your engine temp while decreasing your heater temp... So if you are almost overheating with no heat, then it might be your pump...

And the waterpump would not be that bad... It looks like you are going to need your timing belt changed soon, so just think of it as taking that one step further...

Ok, what happens, or atleast what I am getting is that I have very little to no heat and the temp gauge rides very low. When I look, the bottle is nearly empty. When I refill it, the heat blows fire hot and the temp needle sits where it normally does.
Could this be a sign of something else other than a heater core or water pump??

Ok, what happens, or atleast what I am getting is that I have very little to no heat and the temp gauge rides very low. When I look, the bottle is nearly empty. When I refill it, the heat blows fire hot and the temp needle sits where it normally does.
Could this be a sign of something else other than a heater core or water pump??

Well the question is where is all this fluid going? Is there anything under your car? This is why I also think it is your head-gasket...

No, there is no puddling. What can I look for to verify if its the head gasket? Anything in the exhuast?

Well the question is where is all this fluid going? Is there anything under your car? This is why I also think it is your head-gasket...
a blown headgasket will run like crap and white smoke will poor out of the exhaust. check the carpet and under the carpet on the passenger side of the car. if its wet at all you have a problem with the heater core.

Well, I have to say that she runs goos and strong! Nothing there. No smoke at all either.
I will check the carpet tonight! Thanks!

Also if the heater core leaks, on defrost you will get a lot of condensation and a slimey buildup on the windshield, and you would definitely smell the coolant.

Do you see any signs of coolant mixed in the oil on the dipstick?

Ok, nothing in the floor. I looked under the hood and it looks like the problem is the water pump. Is this as easy as yanking the tire and doing everything from there? Do I have to drop anything else under there to get access?
Atleast I know now where its comming from! Yaaaay!

Ok, nothing in the floor. I looked under the hood and it looks like the problem is the water pump. Is this as easy as yanking the tire and doing everything from there? Do I have to drop anything else under there to get access?
Atleast I know now where its comming from! Yaaaay!
look at the timing belt FAQ for the pre98 in the Zetec Maintenance section. in order to replace the water pump on the pre98 zetec you have to remove the timing belt.

Figures! What should I expect to pay for the timing belt, and water pump?

Last edited:
Go it. I will have to get to it tomorrow then...this should be fun. I will go and look up the info for the timing belt and water pump in the FAQ's and such.
Thanks for the info..here we go

Back