• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are secondaries

Geez, if I knew answering a simple question like this was going to be so tough, I would have jumped in and answered the question yesterday. I figured this one was a no brainer. :troutslap:

So a quick question about all of this. My car... i own a csvt 99 and just about 2 weeks ago lost power above 3500 rpms. now it dosent make the blurp of the svt sound anymore above those rpms. and seems to be having trouble getting into the higher rpms. now could this be from the butterfly valves not opening or is it the IMRC? Not really sure pls help me.

So a quick question about all of this. My car... i own a csvt 99 and just about 2 weeks ago lost power above 3500 rpms. now it dosent make the blurp of the svt sound anymore above those rpms. and seems to be having trouble getting into the higher rpms. now could this be from the butterfly valves not opening or is it the IMRC? Not really sure pls help me.

The IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control) is the mechanism that opens the secondary butterflies. Its the small box located on the front valve cover. If your secondaries arent opening, your IMRC is broken.

the way you describe it, it sounds a hell of a lot like your secondaries aren't opening, usually after that RPM you get a surge of power and the motor tends to get louder due to the butterfly valves opening.

Normally if its an issue with the IMRC box itself, you would throw a check engine light. However, it could be as simple as the rubber grommet going to the butterfly valves has degraded over the years and fallen off. Which would make the IMRC unaware that every time it tries to open the butterfly valves, the valves don't actually open.

thats a white platic gromet alias..just to keep the mis- information police off of your back:laugh:

thats a white platic gromet alias..just to keep the mis- information police off of your back:laugh:

sorry 'bout that.

yeah, usually when I think of a grommet I think of rubber, so the word "rubber" just kind of went hand in hand.

It is a white PLASTIC grommet

IMRC fix in Duratec Maintenance-Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

Your IMRC would not necessarily throw a code, mine didn't, and mine was broken for a year and a half. My advice would be to let the car run in neutral, with the hood open, and rev the throttle body to the point where the IMRC should open, then look at the linkage to see if it's moving, if it's not, they're broken.

now im wondering, ive heard a couple opinions already but i want to hear some others, can a 3L tuned svt be run with the secondaries completely open? we did this on my buddys sho and it worked great, nice torque imprv, and sounds much better but ive heard that the secondaries on csvts are totally different and it might make the car run like poo, so im just wondering if i open the secondaries all the time will my car run like crap? btw i know it uses more gas.

now im wondering, ive heard a couple opinions already but i want to hear some others, can a 3L tuned svt be run with the secondaries completely open? we did this on my buddys sho and it worked great, nice torque imprv, and sounds much better but ive heard that the secondaries on csvts are totally different and it might make the car run like poo, so im just wondering if i open the secondaries all the time will my car run like crap? btw i know it uses more gas.

Are we on the same forum?

I can't tell if it's stupidity or just poor attempt at joking. I'm leaning more towards him getting dumber with every post.

No wonder my car sounds sweet!! I have my secondaries stuck open!! :drool: Screw fixing it, that shiz is staying open now.

dude you dont know what your talking about i NEVER said my secondaries were open, my secondaries are fully functional and then open when they are supposed to. i said that we opened them on my friends SHO and it made more torque and better sound and low rpms and im simply just asking if it will have the same afect on a csvt, which i now know it wont.

dude you dont know what your talking about i NEVER said my secondaries were open, my secondaries are fully functional and then open when they are supposed to. i said that we opened them on my friends SHO and it made more torque and better sound and low rpms and im simply just asking if it will have the same afect on a csvt, which i now know it wont.

wow, you fail.

Back