• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are secondaries

Sinmastah

CEG'er
I've searched around a little, but havn't really found an explaination on what secondaries are. I know that on the DOHC engine, the secondaries produce a crap load of power when you get to the designated RPM, but what the heck are they.

just think of VTEC not how vtec works but just think of what it does, thats secondaries.

honestly i dont know the exact explanation but i know they are little butterfly valves that open more at a certain RPM to increase performance.

IIRC, the engines have secondaries, which, are little butterfly openings that open generally between 3500 to 4000 RPM's, to increase higher RPM torque range. Dont quote me 100% on that. As I cant recall correctly. LOL... But that is the basice I believe.

basically to give you the "best" both worlds sort to speak.
long runners are good for making tq,while short runners are good for top end horsepower. some manufact. might just sacrafice one for the other. well ford and other companies like mazda(V.R.I.S.) tried to offer both. the short runners stay closed below 3750 helping the duratec achieve max tq at a fairly low rpm. once the imrc is activated and the secondaries open(shorter runners) you generally feel that surge of power. they help the engine breath further into the rpms were the longer runners would've cause the engine to run out of breath.

just think of VTEC not how vtec works but just think of what it does, thats secondaries.

honestly i dont know the exact explanation but i know they are little butterfly valves that open more at a certain RPM to increase performance.

You Fail the class... VTEC is Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control... which deals with cam timings for the most part... Read up..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTECk

Secondaries.... Very simple... the SVT DOHC Duratec engine has Primary and Secondary Fuel Injectors.... At normal runnings the Primarys will feed the fuel into the engine.... Now at normal throttle up to 3900 RMS's Primarys will be feeding until past that, after that RPM, Secondaries will kick in feeding more fuel to the engine, allowing for more power to be generated. If you have the gas peddle down to the floor (WOT), secondaries kick in at 3400RPM...

http://www.stuff.to/svtspecs.php

there is only 6 injectors not 12. there are 2 intake ports and valves per cylinder. one port is unobstructed and the other has a butterfly valve like a little throttle body. when you get in the secondaries rpm range they open on all 6 cylinders. the injector is placed on the primary intake port only. this has nothing to do with the cylinder valves. no timing. nothing like "v-tec" or "VVT"

there is only 6 injectors not 12. there are 2 intake ports and valves per cylinder. one port is unobstructed and the other has a butterfly valve like a little throttle body. when you get in the secondaries rpm range they open on all 6 cylinders. the injector is placed on the primary intake port only. this has nothing to do with the cylinder valves. no timing. nothing like "v-tec" or "VVT"

He's got it right.

I must say, I am very sad today that it took a thread 11 posts long to explain something as simple as a secondary port throttle mechanism.

Please, for the love of God people, if you don't know the tech, DON'T RESPOND IN THE THREAD LIKE YOU KNOW YOU DO. You only create confusion for the other people that are trying to learn how it all really works.

I must say, I am very sad today that it took a thread 11 posts long to explain something as simple as a secondary port throttle mechanism...

I was thinking the same thing. How did the enemy get mentioned? Cam timing? Maybe it's time to find a nice safe place to put the pedal on the wood in second gear to see the butterflies in action. :cool:

I must say, I am very sad today that it took a thread 11 posts long to explain something as simple as a secondary port throttle mechanism.

Please, for the love of God people, if you don't know the tech, DON'T RESPOND IN THE THREAD LIKE YOU KNOW YOU DO. You only create confusion for the other people that are trying to learn how it all really works.

Thank you!!! My sentiments EXACTLY!!!

Can we just delete all these replys and leave the correct one? Please?

~Josh

Just a quick edit of SVTJON's post simplified with some additional info:

There are 2 intake ports and valves per cylinder. One port is unobstructed and the other has a butterfly valve like a little throttle body. When you get in the secondaries rpm range the butterflies open on the (6) obstructed ports. The purpose of this system is to keep low RPM torque up on the 2.5 without sacrificing much on the high rpm power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus, This thread is depressing! and some of these posters are going to school to wrench on cars?! :help::rolleyes:

Something as simple as secondaries should be explained in one post!

ID YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT WHY ARE YOU POSTING AN ANSWER?

I just learned most of my automotive knowledge in the last year, before that time I made it a point not to answer questions I didnt know!!!

Jesus, This thread is depressing! and some of these posters are going to school to wrench on cars?! :help::rolleyes:

Something as simple as secondaries should be explained in one post!

ID YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT WHY ARE YOU POSTING AN ANSWER?

I just learned most of my automotive knowledge in the last year, before that time I made it a point not to answer questions I didnt know!!!

+1 I read through the whole thing getting more and more depressed. PLEASE, this particular topic has been gone over time and time again, try to use the search feature combined with control + f on your keyboard.

Seriously people, if you don't know what it is, dont post; that just confuses the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of everybody else.

Back