• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Question

68fordman

CEG'er
what kind of gas mileage are yall getting on stock 3L swaps.....im thinking about doing the swap if i could get better or close to 20mpg on the highway which is what im getting with the 2.5L...going to do the swap after the rear is closer to stock rather than the face of a pekinese

what kind of gas mileage are yall getting on stock 3L swaps.....im thinking about doing the swap if i could get better or close to 20mpg on the highway which is what im getting with the 2.5L...going to do the swap after the rear is closer to stock rather than the face of a pekinese

I was easily getting 20+ mpg with the 3L swap on my SE. Closer to 25 MPG on the highway to be exact and I was putting down 200+ WHP.

my gas mileage is horrible...ive been hearing guys getting around 30mpg in their 2.5L i wanna know how much tail wind they had....i might do the swap over the summer when i MIGHT have the money....thank you for your help

My highway gas mileage is around the same as the 2.5. But as far as in city driving it def, went down pretty bad. But then again, I'm sure thats my fault. I haven't tuned the car since the swap so I'm sure there is something to gain. (and it is on my to-do list within the next few months)

I got 31 mpg on the highway in my 3L turbo when I stayed out of boost. I'm sure the zetec FD helped alot! :) I get the same gas mileage in my current 3L as I did in my 2.5L. If you are looking for better gas milage, I really would consider the zetec final drive when you have everything apart. It makes a huge difference.

how much does is cost to get the zetec FD? i might just swap over to the zetec FD and keep my 2.5L or is swapping the engine the way to go...i have 95k miles on my engine and 6k on a rebuilt tranny

It will cost a couple hundred for parts and installation. It isn't that expensive. Just get your rebuilt trans back out again! Labor to pull the trans is what will eat your wallet if you don't or can't do it yourself.

i've basically put the whole drivetrain in by myself, when i got the car the engine spun a bearing and after i put in a *new* (junkyard) motor in 88K i forgot to put fluid in the trans and i burnt up the tranny and i locked on me while doing 55mph.....so therefore a rebuilt tranny was a must

all in all it took me, my dad, 7 30 packs of miller, and six months to get it done

18MPG before my tune and cant get it to run right to get my mileage after the tune. (having idle issues) do the 3L if you can it is so much more fun and much easier to drive in city.

Most of the 3L's I've built have been around 18mpg city and 26mph highway without a tune. They should be slightly better with a tune. Of course your driving habits and location are also significant factors.

I really would consider the zetec final drive when you have everything apart. It makes a huge difference.

Or drive 55mph on the highway :laugh: It would have about the same effect.

I can't believe how much better gas mileage I get with my cougar while doing 55 vs 75. Its almost a 10mpg difference.

The first tank on my 3L swap was 22mpg mostly untuned. There was a decent bit of idling on that tank, as well as a decent bit of highway driving.

Back