• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Headlights

Rob51988

CEG'er
Whats the best way to remove headlights? I dont really understand how they come off. All I can see is two torque screws next to the blinker light. :shrug:

Also, when cleaning the headlights, do I just clean the outside or the inside of them too? :confused: :help: The plastic lense doesnt clip off

there's 3. There is a long metal tab type thing on the bottom of the headlight, I think it's in the center horizontally. It is a couple of inches into the engine bay. I always just loosen this one and pull the headlight out.

12-10-07misc007.jpg

Last edited:
Rob, put your location into your profile, and create a signature with the year/model/engine of your car. That'll make it easier for people to help you. Stuff varies greatly on these cars between the various years and models.

yeah...i realized that aftewards...whoopsies. pre98 headlights are weird!

There are very few write-ups on how to do this...I will go searching and edit this post later or I'll take pics when I get out to my car tonight, but it'll probably be dark...Either way I'll have an answer!

EDIT: Found this:

striker2 said:
there are 3 little metal tabs that are pushed onto the pins for the headlights. you can see them better on the passenger side as there is more room. pop them off and the headlight comes out. they can be difficult to get off sometimes though.

Last edited:
there is three u style clips that retain the headlights from the back side. two in the center and then one on the outer side of the headlight. they are silver in color and i have been able to pull them straight out with needle nose pliers. spray with penetrant or silicone spray first and it makes it easier. plus on the drivers side you will need to take the battery out to access the clips. alos word of warning. it's been my experience that the new headlights do not come with the clips so don't lose the old ones, or you will be going to the junkyard. also put some grease on the end of the three plastic shafts the u clips will go on when installing, it makes it slide into the header panel better and the clips go on much easier than they come off.

So all I have to do is unclip them? I was trying to get them out earlier but couldnt figure it out, and I gave up because it was 20 degrees outside. I think I saw the clips but do I have to bend them so they release or do they just clip on and off? :shrug: :confused:

yep he is right.... remember to keep the clips, like stated earlier - I made one kuz I was too lazy to go to the junkyard..... have fun

Back