• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can't find 1st, 2nd, 5th, or Reverse.

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er
What up guys my brother just called. He said this happened out of the blue and can't find any of those gears. There's lots of play in the shifter, but something is blocking both the left and right side. He can drive in 3rd and 4th and is not stuck in any gears.

Could it be the shift linkage, or something worse?

Last edited:
I fear that you may have a problem with the shift tower bolt that sometimes breaks.

Before jumping to that conclusion though, check the shift cables, including both ends. One of the cables may have broken or one of the cable ends may have poped off. Check the ends at the trans and also at the shifter. If the cables and ends are OK, you will need to pull the shift tower off the trans for inspection, if you can.

THis happened to my first SVT the day after i bought it. one of the trans shifter cable ends had broke

I'll pass that on to my brother. Hopefully it's not something too pricey. I heard about problems with the shift tower bolt, that would suck :nonono:

Thanks guys :cool:

What up guys my brother just called. He said this happened out of the blue and can't find any of those gears. There's lots of play in the shifter, but something is blocking both the left and right side. He can drive in 3rd and 4th and is not stuck in any gears.

Could it be the shift linkage, or something worse?

Sounds like the shift cable that is actuated by left/right movement broke.

I agree. 3rd, and 4th are in a the neutral resting position.

Pull the shift boot up and make sure that the left/right movement cable is attached.

Then have a friend move the shifter forward and back, while you look under the hood (between the battery and firewall, and between the EGR and driver's fender) for the shifter cables to be moving.. Do it from front to back since we know that cable works, so that you can locate it.

Now have him move side to side and see if the other one moves at all.

Back