• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loud clunk from drivers side.

Tomato

CEG'er
Well just to give a precursor to the maintenance done to the car. Wheel bearings were just replaced(pressed in by a reputable shop) replacement done per Ray's writeup and yes 208lbs/ft on the axle nut :p a few weeks back. Clutch, new flywheel, Ford Honey done about 15K or so ago.

I'm pulling out of a parking lot tonight, making a right hand turn, when all of a sudden I heard a loud as hell clunk then a thud and car keeps going. Round another corner does it again. Having someone stand next to the car the sound is coming from the drivers side. It is 100% reproduceable with the wheels turned, almost non existent with them straight. Does it in both forward and reverse. All fasteners touched in the wheel bearing job appear a ok. Even then I don't think that would be the cause, this is a hell of a loud clunk and I really feel it, feels like the trans wants to rip out of the subframe.

I am almost thinking it could be the diff, as it will only do this clunk/thud with the clutch being let in/ in, when in neutral it does not occur, but I am unfamiliar with these cars, drove W body GM's my whole life.

Any insight or suggestions would be most greatly appreciated.

sounds like a lower control arm. very common problem with our cars

Hrmm previous owner did them, I even have the receipt from BAT from not that long ago for them both. Although one does appear much newer than the other. How would I check if that's the culprit? Also is it safe to take my vehicle a few miles home like this or not?

...Also is it safe to take my vehicle a few miles home like this or not?
Yes, just don't do any fast and hard right turns. To check, jack up the car and put on jack stands, then check the rubber bushings. If it is worned out or broken, you will know. In addition, push and pull on the arms.

If one looks newer than the other, then only 1 of them might have been replaced. Does the noise come from the side that looks like the more worn out LCA? Whether they have been replaced or not, I will bet a bad LCA is your problem...

Jeff

... this is a hell of a loud clunk and I really feel it, feels like the trans wants to rip out of the subframe.

I am almost thinking it could be the diff, as it will only do this clunk/thud with the clutch being let in/ in, when in neutral it does not occur, but I am unfamiliar with these cars, drove W body GM's my whole life.

I think your diagnosis is closer than bad LCA's. The later model year diffs were not strong enough and do break.

I think your diagnosis is closer than bad LCA's. The later model year diffs were not strong enough and do break.

Yeah I'm afraid that might be the case, only because I could understand a pop and clunk from an LCA, but the fact that when this happens it feels like i'm doing a neutral drop in an auto trans, feels terrible.

Anyway to completely confirm or eliminate the diff as the cause? If so I guess it's quaife time.

Did you check to see if the drive axle on that side is still completely seated?
I once didn't seat the circlip that holds the axle into the groove inside the diff. On a turn I too heard a loud clunk. I checked things out, saw nothing out of the ordinary. A few days later I noticed trans fluid drops on the driveway. I thought the axle seal was leaking. Got a new seal to install. As I was about to hook up the special attachment tool to the slap hammer to pull the axle, I looked at the axle, it didn't appear to be fully seated. I pulled it out with my hands, the circlip had poped out of its groove, probably the loud clunk I heard days before.

I remember seeing a picture here where someones axle wasn't fully seated and the splines got striped the car eventually wouldn't move.

Well just an update to this thread, vehicle no longer moves. Makes a sort or winding grinding sound when I let the clutch out and just free revs.

Where to start from here :( This car has been a nightmare since I picked it up hehe.

sounds like a diff.

That's what I'm thinking. Now what are the diffs like to get to on these cars. Old Grand Prix I could get at it from the passenger side without having to even take out the trans. I believe with the MTX-75 I have to drop the trans?

Now to debate if I should go with stock cheap replacement and sell the car or go Quaife/Torsen and keep it.

Anyone feel like doing a trans swap :shrug::shrug:

Back