• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help with my engine wiring harness on a 2.5L

jaybquick

New CEG'er
Just got the car and after cleaning the engine I can't start it half the time and I get random intermittent codes. Looking closer at the harness it is falling apart. I found info on the recall by my car is a 95 so it is out of the 10 year 100,000 mile period.

Can anyone give me a list of what other years and cars I can find a used wiring harness from. haven't had much luck in the junkyards around here getting info on what year ranges I can use for a wiring harness. Or if someone has a good one for sale that would be great.

It is a 95 contour 2.5L duratec V6 with Automatic

Thanks in advance.

96 is when the Contour went to OBD-II, so I will hazard a guess (until some with more certain knowledge comes along) that you're limited to the 95 models with the V6. Not sure if you have to have an ATX harness, I'd guess yes, but there may parts of the harness that are interchangeable (like the cooling fans portion maybe).

you'll have to go looking in the junkyards because there are no more harnesses left in the Ford inventory.

Out of curiousity, which harness are you having the most problems with? Is it the fuel injector harness or another one?

Something you could do in the meantime is to use some quick dry electrical cleaner and electrical tape and slowly and painfully repair your harness.

Still looking for a harness guys. My car hasn't been running in over 2 months. I have checked car-part.com often and ebay. Still no luck.

Does anyone on here have one?

I would just do what 69Boss302 said and just slowly go through, clean and re-tape the harness.

Unfortunately the more I touch the darn thing the more it basically crumbles in my hands. The insulation is just falling off everwhere. It is not worth saving. I would have to resolder in all brand new wires which would be extremely tedious and time consuming.

Unfortunately the more I touch the darn thing the more it basically crumbles in my hands. The insulation is just falling off everwhere. It is not worth saving. I would have to resolder in all brand new wires which would be extremely tedious and time consuming.

That is bad then. Where are you located? I would check any junk yards nearby. You might get lucky.

Got some helpful leads but I am still wiring harnessless. Anyone else got any ideas or know where I can get one?

Got some helpful leads but I am still wiring harnessless. Anyone else got any ideas or know where I can get one?

Where are you located? Next time I go to the yard, which will probably be in about a month, I'll take a look for one. If I find one we could work out some sort of shipping deal.

I have an unfixed '95 ATX V6 ABS Traction and have fixed up the wiring harness where I saw it deteriorating, using mostly a FRESH tube of "Goop" applied liberally to deteriorating wires/insulation.

Where Goop didn't seem appropriate I used spray electrical insulation, a thinner more penetrating ends up rubbery material which I found on ebay.

These applications were of course on deteriorating but still electrically sound areas.

Mike

Sorry about your problem, but depending on your car and options things can be expensive. I take it you have not read the information in the Owner Notification about the wiring harness issue. The only harness that will work is from the 95's. There is a minimum of three harnesses in the engine bay that are affected by this problem and can be four depending on options. Some of the kits are still available through Bill Jenkins at Team Ford. The kit for my 95 Z w/o ABS was only $140. That covered three harnesses. I have heard the kits for a V6 w/ ABS and TC can be thousands at which point it is more that the car is worth.

SO two things check out the notification so you know what you are really talking about regarding what you need. Then contact Bill Jenkins he is a member here and will give you a discount on the parts you need if he has them or can in anyway get them.

Owner Notification Program 99M03 - Certain 1995-1997 Contour and Mystique vehicles - Under Hood Wire Harness - Additional Coverage.

Trying to find a good harness in the JY is a crap shoot as some of these look good on the outside and inside the wrappings they are powder. I have looked at many. Then also you have to have the ones that work for you particular engine and options. Knowing that bit of info is the most important part of getting the correct harnesses. IF ONE IS BAD THEN ALL OF THE LISTED HARNESSES FOR YOUR CAR ARE BAD AND MUST BE REPLACED.

Hope this helps, I know it is not what you'd like to hear, and it is even more irritating knowing all the previous owner had to do was take it to a dealer and have them changed for free....within a ten year period!

AF

I lucked out when I had my 95. The wiring harness was shot but I had a buddy who needed a few parts so we traded the harness for a few misc. parts I had.

It is a pain to find the harness. I know i've never seen any 95's at the junkyard near me.

I'd try Bill Jenkins as has been said and hopefully he can help you out. You may also want to put a post up in the classifieds as well.

The issue is finding a GOOD harness. I have seen lots of 95's only one had a good set I should have grabbed it but I think it had been cut up already by an idiot....

We know it is a 95/2.5L/ATX, but does it have ABS and or Traction Control? that makes a huge difference.
AF

I hate to take away from your thread but i am also having cracking issues on pretty much all my wiring in my engine bay. The question i have is that i have a 98 svt and was wondering if i can use the wire harness from 98-00 contours that are 2.5 v6's? Main concern is the wiring for the injectors and the main one that goes to pcm. Thanks in advance is anyone's help.

Is it an early or late 98. Ford didn't extend the warranty to 98's but many 98's also had it like you are finding out. The early 98's are their own creature they changed some connectors and how things were wired. That makes the later 98 also their own design b/c they changes some things in 99 as to how items were wired. That said, Something like the fuel injection, and fan harnesses may be the same for 98's and some 99's. In 99 they went to a returnless fuel system which is the same for 00, but not 98's. Then throw in the PATS system and you have another issue to deal with some had it others didn't. Bottom line is if you find a harness check it against yours for connectors and #of wires at the connectors. For and example a four wire connector with all four wires used on yours, may only have three wires used on another car, yet it is the same connector. It is things like that which will really mess you up. Best thing to do is take pics of your harness then compare them with your find to see that it is a match. Try to stick with your year you have the best chance that way, but a year up or down may also be the same. Like I mentioned there are up to four harnesses in the engine bay that may be affected by the problem. Two that I think are on all configurations are the fan and fuel injection harnesses. If you don't find what you need at a JY, contact Bill Jenkins at Team Ford, he has been our best source for Ford parts, and will answer questions too. Start with reading the above mentioned notification it will at least tell you what to look for.

Hope this helps,
AF

Is it an early or late 98. Ford didn't extend the warranty to 98's but many 98's also had it like you are finding out. The early 98's are their own creature they changed some connectors and how things were wired. That makes the later 98 also their own design b/c they changes some things in 99 as to how items were wired. That said, Something like the fuel injection, and fan harnesses may be the same for 98's and some 99's. In 99 they went to a returnless fuel system which is the same for 00, but not 98's. Then throw in the PATS system and you have another issue to deal with some had it others didn't. Bottom line is if you find a harness check it against yours for connectors and #of wires at the connectors. For and example a four wire connector with all four wires used on yours, may only have three wires used on another car, yet it is the same connector. It is things like that which will really mess you up. Best thing to do is take pics of your harness then compare them with your find to see that it is a match. Try to stick with your year you have the best chance that way, but a year up or down may also be the same. Like I mentioned there are up to four harnesses in the engine bay that may be affected by the problem. Two that I think are on all configurations are the fan and fuel injection harnesses. If you don't find what you need at a JY, contact Bill Jenkins at Team Ford, he has been our best source for Ford parts, and will answer questions too. Start with reading the above mentioned notification it will at least tell you what to look for.

Hope this helps,
AF

thanks alot for your help aussie ford will check that out: )

Back