• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 97 Contour

Rob51988

CEG'er
Here she is... need some suggestions on how to make better :)

stuff009.jpg

stuff010.jpg

stuff011.jpg

stuff012.jpg

stuff013.jpg

stuff014.jpg

stuff015.jpg

stuff016.jpg

stuff018.jpg

fix or replace foggy headlights ,remove ding gaurds and get wheels:shrug:

mesh grille, remove badges, ESPECIALLY that stupid ford one at the top of the trunk lid (HTF does that flow with the car?!!?!), get different wheels, dehaze your headlights, install foglights, de ding guard, stop taking naps while you drive, get pre98 gray leather seats, remove single ugly sun visor from driver side door, post 98 sail pannels, drop the suspension, get gauge cluster with tach, install nice gauge and HVAC overlays, upgrade door speakers, clay bar paint, use cleaners wax, go over with synthetic wax, use woolite on the carpets, get SVT dual exhaust, put gas in your car and clean what looks like a jizz stain on your fuel gauge.

Do all of that and your car can look like this...

100_0337s.jpg

I miss my pre98 :(

EDIT!
V4 2.0 GL

This boy has LOTS of learning to do...

no such thing as a V4.. Its called an I4 AKA inline 4. Inline = cylinders are IN A LINE next to each other. You have the Dual over head cam (DOHC) Zetec motor. with 100K plus miles, i would check to see if the timing belt has been replaced, or you will one day be stranded.

GL is the submodel of the car, not the motor... for the 97 year there were 3 submodels; GL, LX, and SE. the GL was the most inexpensive of the 3, and usualy included an I4 motor (in some cases the V6), So GL has nothing to do with your engine.

Last edited:
I see I see. hhaha. I still dont know what a ding guard is?

ding guard is the molding that runs down the side of the car, about mid-door level. it keeps the doors from getting dinged by people opening their door next to you. make sense?

I see I see. hhaha. I still dont know what a ding guard is?

Ding guard is that little lump of plastic in the middle of the doors, it just peels off with a couple hours of your time and a huge bottle of goo gone.

I get you now. How are they connected? I dont know what it would look like under them because I think the car was repainted before I got it and they did a kinda bad job on it.

I get you now. How are they connected? I dont know what it would look like under them because I think the car was repainted before I got it and they did a kinda bad job on it.

usually they just peel off, but if your car was ever repainted I would suggest leaving them on, taking them off could make the car look worse.

Does anyone know if they sell liquid stuff to clear up the headlights or do I have to get brand new ones?

we have a fix how-to on this website, I know that autozone sells meguiar's plastic X, which works pretty well, but with that kind of hazing i would suggest wetsanding (no its not as scary as it sounds).

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...1871&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

basically what you do is get 3 grits of sand paper, 2000, 1000, and 600. You get a plastic polish and a headlight restorer (like meguiar's plastic X), plus a spray bottle with a mix of water and dish soap

1) remove the headlight assemblies
2) spray with dishsoap solution
3)wetsand with 600 grit
4) repeat steps 2 and 3 with 1000 and 2000 grit this process should take about 45 minutes to an hour PER headlight, its time consuming
5) by this step the headlights will look WORSE then they did before, thats okay because there no longer is any finnish on the headlights, with this step, dry off the headlights and use A LOT of Plastic Polish (3M rubbing compound) with a regular old dish towel on the headlights, they should start to get clearer
6) after using the rubbing compound, use the Plastic polish, again rub a lot of this on, it works better if you use a more delicate towel to apply this, so microfiber towel would work the best. Your headlights should look brand new at this point
7) reinstall headlights.

you can do all of this with the headlights already attached to the car, but I think its easier with them removed to do a better job of it. Read the thread posted above for more info and product use selections.

Last edited:
Back