• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another stupid problem

elraido

I kant speel
Not a huge one, but now I have crack in my windshield. About 4 inches long, it is located at the top almost near the seal. A rock hit it about a week ago, and it was hiding so far up that I couldn't see that there was a small chip in it. Anywhos, with the weather we have been getting (rain and snow) a small out of water must have gotten in there and frozen. Stupid windshield is only 1 1/2 years old. Only have liability, but I am thinking about going and getting full glass coverage in the next couple days and then turning it it. Ideas on how to fix this or prevent it from cracking more?

Not a huge one, but now I have crack in my windshield. About 4 inches long, it is located at the top almost near the seal. A rock hit it about a week ago, and it was hiding so far up that I couldn't see that there was a small chip in it. Anywhos, with the weather we have been getting (rain and snow) a small out of water must have gotten in there and frozen. Stupid windshield is only 1 1/2 years old. Only have liability, but I am thinking about going and getting full glass coverage in the next couple days and then turning it it. Ideas on how to fix this or prevent it from cracking more?

with the nights getting colder and days being somewhat mild...its only going to get worse...expansion and contraction is a ball buster

Even if the windshield cost double that, it still would not be cost effective to get the insurance. A friend of mine is broker and glass coverage is the biggest ripoff. It's really cheap, but the thing they don't tell you is that when you use it, it counts as a negative claim. This ends up making your insurance go up. So in the long run you pay a whole lot more. Plus, you still have to pay the deductable. It's like getting towing throught your insurance. I know someone that had that and used it several times in a year. When time came to renue the insurance they wouldn't renue her. To many negative claims.

Even if the windshield cost double that, it still would not be cost effective to get the insurance. A friend of mine is broker and glass coverage is the biggest ripoff. It's really cheap, but the thing they don't tell you is that when you use it, it counts as a negative claim. This ends up making your insurance go up. So in the long run you pay a whole lot more. Plus, you still have to pay the deductable. It's like getting towing throught your insurance. I know someone that had that and used it several times in a year. When time came to renue the insurance they wouldn't renue her. To many negative claims.

it doesnt work that way in all states...in MA glass coverage isnt that expensive...and i think you can have like up to 4 windows replaced a year without your rate going up, plus there is no deductible, i just had mine replaced on thursday

someone smashed the windshield on my exploder last year. cost to replace was $174.xx and they came to my house to replace it.

When the windshield of my Contour cracked, it cost me $249. They came to my house and did it on-the-spot. (The guy screwed up the top rubber strip though, he installed it upside down and I never had it corrected before I sold the car.)

Reread your post: if you get glass coverage on your policy and then turn on it in less than a month, red flags might go up ...

Last edited:
can't remember how much I paid when I had it replaced last year, but I think it was more than what said. Is your price PPG?

When I bought my car it had a cracked windsheild as well. I called around and the lowest price I got for an installed windsheild here in the Twin Cities area was like $275. I just put glass coverage on my car and then turned it in like a month later.

When I bought my car it had a cracked windsheild as well. I called around and the lowest price I got for an installed windsheild here in the Twin Cities area was like $275. I just put glass coverage on my car and then turned it in like a month later.

I might do that, just wait like 3 months for when it really spiders out and then turn it in.

Back