• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

weird smell can't figure it out

ronssvt

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys I just bought my '00 svt contour a couple weeks ago. The first night I was driving it and I notice a really bad burning smell. My first reaction was the clutch because I haven't driving a stick shift in awhile so I thought maybe I was riding the clutch too much. Then the next day I noticed a different smell. This smell was that of a bad cat converter.

So I have been driving the car for a couple weeks and haven't noticed any more smells but alas today I noticed the burning clutch smell again and I have been driving it easy. Apparently the previous owner had installed a spec stage 1 clutch not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone had any similar problems/smells with their cars?

Look under the oil filter. Chances are the oil filter is leaking and the oil is going to the y-pipe/front exhaust manifold.

I also noticed a new-exhaust-smell like ?
It's usually noticeable when I start up the car, and let it idle to warm up. Could it be the same thing as above?

I also noticed a new-exhaust-smell like ?
It's usually noticeable when I start up the car, and let it idle to warm up. Could it be the same thing as above?

Not sure man I know mine is leaking at the cat in the middle of the exhaust. I looked under the car while it was running and saw exhaust fumes comming out from there. Thing is every time I start my car the clutch makes almost like a little grind sound so im thinking something is F'ed up with the clutch :shrug:

the only smell I've noticed from mine is a really bad, rotten-egg fart/oil smell that occasionally comes out of the vents, at least apparently out of the vents. No discernable smoke from anywhere.

the only smell I've noticed from mine is a really bad, rotten-egg fart/oil smell that occasionally comes out of the vents, at least apparently out of the vents. No discernable smoke from anywhere.
That is the sulfur smell from the unburnt gasoline. It is usually due to the older precatalytic or main convertors which are not as efficient anymore. If you don't have to pass smog or if your CEL is not lighted, I'd say don't worry about it. If the smell really bothers you, then change the precats and main cat (about $2,500 or so).

Spec clutches have been known to chatter. Some go forever without any problems while others have had the clutch go in just 10,000 miles.

Add your location to your sig or something because more than likely you're going to be close another CEG'er that will be able to help you out. Especially if you're in New England of the Great Lakes region. May God have mercy on your soul if your near the last.

You sure a brake pad is not dragging. I have seen the emergency brakes not releasing even after the handle is released.

You sure a brake pad is not dragging. I have seen the emergency brakes not releasing even after the handle is released.

yes that could be a burning smell also, after driving around for awhile come to a stop and see if any of your wheels are hotter than others, using your hand.

You mean brake rotors? If the e-brake was causing the tires to lock, that would be obvious, but a hand isn't exactly an accurate measure of the small temperature difference you'd find on the surface of a tire.

You mean brake rotors? If the e-brake was causing the tires to lock, that would be obvious, but a hand isn't exactly an accurate measure of the small temperature difference you'd find on the surface of a tire.

I mean a caliper could be frozen, you can feel the rim with your palm to see if one rim is warmer than another, if it is then the caliper or related parts may be no good.

Spec clutches have been known to chatter. Some go forever without any problems while others have had the clutch go in just 10,000 miles.

Add your location to your sig or something because more than likely you're going to be close another CEG'er that will be able to help you out. Especially if you're in New England of the Great Lakes region. May God have mercy on your soul if your near the last.

If your smell fumes, etc from your vents check for:

1. Exhaust leaks
2. Oil pan leaks
3. Could have leaking injector orings and/or nose seals...these will allow fumes into the cabin.

Bob

Hmmm thats weird to because my emergency brake just snapped off recently. The previous owner said he didn't use it too much at all so maybe thats what did it in? Anyways I haven't had the smell in the 3 weeks so I guess I just rode the clutch too much.

If you really think it's the clutch, then let the car idle for awhile and see if you get the smell. If not, then drive around and use the brakes as little as possible, using just the transmission to slow down the car. If you're still getting the smell, there's a pretty good chance it's the clutch.

Or you could have someone else drive the car for a little while that drives standards all the time. See if they get the smell.

How would a frozen caliper cause a rim to heat up?

Well aluminum transfers heat (and so does steel for that matter), so if the rotor becomes 950 + degrees the wheel is mounted on top of the rotor, so the wheel will become warmer than normal, im not saying the wheel may become 300 degrees but closer to around 150 my guess would be. Trust me, it does happen.

Back