• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wire Harness Recall?

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
Is there any way that you can tell if you car has had the bad harness swapped out? I was reading a bit on the old forums and someone said something about Ford OASIS, but then someone else said that only goes back 12 months... So is there anything specific which could hint in either direction?

And the term "wire harness," does this mean like all of the wiring in the car? :shrug: :eek:

im pretty sure that the oasis system tells every recall that has been performed on a car, 12 months wouldnt make sense because some recalls are extended for 2 years+

go to a ford dealer and ask them to perform an oasis test, shouldnt cost anything, just make sure to have your VIN number handy.

Wiring harness really is referring to a cluster of wires attached to connectors, and yes it really refers to any of the wires under the hood of the car, particularly on the fuel injectors and under the fusebox.

check the wires on the injectors and see how good/bad they look, thats a pretty good determination of how bad the harness might be.

OASIS does only go back 12 months. OASIS also removes recalls once they have been performed. OASIS also remove recalls when they expire. It is not likely that OASIS will help much at this point, but it would not hurt to call a dealer service department with the VIN and see if you can learn anything.

I looked at it, and it seems fine, like there is no cracking or anything... But who knows what it looks like where it is wrapped up, LOL... Why couldn't Ford do things the right way first... I would think they would know what kind of wiring to use :shrug:

I dont think ford was responsible for the wiring harnesses.... didnt another company put them together?

It is a Customer Satisfaction Extended Warranty.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=24

Yea, I know, but the warantee for me expired two years ago anyways... I guess NH is not really a hot/humid climate, at least not like the south...

Although, the cable for the postive battery terminal looks like it is in great condition, so maybe I am worrying over nothing as usual...

Also, all of my fuses and stuff in the fuse box have a yellow slash on them, along with all of the slots they go into... And then my green relay for the low speed has "OK" in white on the top of it... Is this a sign?

Last edited:
I dont think ford was responsible for the wiring harnesses.... didnt another company put them together?

Ford is responsible. Ford is responsible to control their suppliers. One of their suppliers may have cheated, but it is up to Ford to make sure they are fulfilling the contract requirements.

On the other hand, if Ford did specify the inferior insulation, shame on them and it was clearly Ford's responsibility.

Either way, Ford is responsible.

Back