• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diesel conversion?

alex894

Hard-core CEG'er
First off, my apologies if the topic has been brought up before;

Today as I was doing some mods, I was thinking of converting my little zetec from gas to diesel.

I don't know much about diesels :eek: since I've never had the opportunity to work on one nor have I owned a diesel. The idea is interesting, heck, there are kits out there to make your own diesel/ and alternatives of it and those engines seem to live forever.

1. now, I'm thinking I'm gonna need some serious injectors and a fuel pump able to deliver fuel at the right pressure in the combustion stroke.
2. I'm also thinking that a turbo would be absolutely necessary for a 2.0.
3. timing is gonna change of course, I'm thinking if I could tweek the VCT.
4. new ECU

Discuss! ...

I think you need to do your homework on the differences between diesel and gas.

If you do attempt this it will not be easy or cheap.
You are right about the injectors and fuel pump.
Diesel combusts from heat and pressure not spark. You will need to change everything about the engine.
Might be easier to get a turbo diesel and make it work with the contour. If you do this then you need to worry about your trans being able to handle all the torque.

^^ What he said. The easier thing would probably be to just get a diesel engine and make it fit in a tour. Otherwise it would be extremely difficult and expensive to build it into a diesel.:shrug:

At least you would have to probably build custom heads for it.

Diesel combusts from heat and pressure not spark.

I knew that.:blackeye:

Might be easier to get a turbo diesel and make it work with the contour. If you do this then you need to worry about your trans being able to handle all the torque.

wonder if a mondeo st tdci engine and transmission from a 2000 would workout nicely.
sure as hell I'm gonna deal with emissions regulation.

sigh.... would've been nice to do, ...... no time..

I knew that.:blackeye:

wonder if a mondeo st tdci engine and transmission from a 2000 would workout nicely.
sure as hell I'm gonna deal with emissions regulation.

sigh.... would've been nice to do, ...... no time..

Ya you might have to deal with emissions. I believe starting in 2008 there are very strict diesel emissions.

i think a diesel would be bad ass.. there way fast to!

Dude, you are the smartest person I've ever seen post on this forum and your opinion is both highly intelligent, and obviously based upon real-world facts. Thank you for taking the time to do the research, and posting information that is not only true, but extremely relevant, in all of your posts. We can obviously learn a lot from you.

Oh, and BTW, in case you're too smart to understand context clues, that was complete and utter sarcasm. In other words, please stop posting useless things, you're making us all dumber with every post.

i think he's post whoring to get to 50..little does he know,that ceg isnt working right:shrug:

Just add 1 gallon of diesel to every full tank of gas... it will improve your fuel economy considerably. :) Then you can call it a hybrid diesel/gasoline combustion motor. Only problem is at most gas stations the diesel filler won't fit into a standard car. You will need to fill up your own 5 gallon diesel tank and fill up your car accordingly with it. The best ration is 1 gallon diesel for every 17.8 gallons of 87 octane gasoline. So about 3/4 gallon diesel to 12 gallons or so gas in your zetec.

I am not kidding either...

disclaimer... I wouldn't recommend this in a high performance engine.

GM's 5.7 liter diesel was converted from a gas motor. Maybe you should scare up one of those beasts. :cool:

oldsmobile.jpg

Back