• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust Nut Size

murky024

New CEG'er
I need the size of the nuts that connect the y-pipe to the pre-cats. (’95 Contour SE) The ones that connect to the studs... What is the thread pitch and stud size? I took mine apart and the nuts were ruined and now I can’t find them to take them to the hardware store.

Thank you

Ok, so the dealer had the nuts... Now I come to find out two of the studs are stripped and the one snapped off when I tried to take it out. Should I grind off the studs and drill it out and just put a bolt in there? I was thinking two stainless steel bolts would do the job just great...

I have grade 8 hardware in place of the OE stuff. My stuff is only zinc plated though. Works very well and easy to do.

Sweet, thanks... I see that I will have to cut back some of the heat shield off of that rear manifold but that will be easy with a pair of tin snips, a grinder, and a dremel... I just wanted to make sure that others had success before I drilled the hole out... I don't want to have to retap it.

I used a nut/bolt/lockwasher combo on my MSDS setup w/o any issues, and I know of a few others who have done it on stock exhaust, so you should be good.

Back