• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it just me?

have you done the brights bulb in the low beam socket? that makes a world of a difference. search around for that. all you have to do is cut out the two tabs on the bulb connector on the bulb to make it plug in to the low beam wire harness.

i warn you not to buy "high wattage" bulbs like 80W(low) 100W(high) as they can melt your wire harness. most people just get silverstar ultra or reg. 9005

here: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...4823&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

Last edited:
I was wondering is it my head lamp or all contour light is not that bright at night? I got my lamp brand new about 8 months ago and it wasn't that bright at first.

Did you adjust the new headlight to aim correctly? It makes a big difference if the headlight is pointing at the ground. I know when I got my new headlights they were far from aimed.

I also have high beams in the lows :)

So this is what I do, the 9006 low beam connector (brown), cut the little two tab with the toe nail cutter, put a 9005 bulb in there and that's it?

What do you mean when you said "i warn you not to buy "high wattage" bulbs like 80W(low) 100W(high) as they can melt your wire harness." Like don't get any bulb that has 80W or higher for the low beamn and nothing higher than 100w for high beam?

Last edited:
don't go on ebay and buy high wattage ones. OEM low is 51w and high is 60w. silverstar highs are 60w. thats what i meant. don't touch the wire harness on the car. look at the bulb out of the car and on the connector you will see 2 plastic tabs inside. cut them out or shave them off with a small razor blade. (not the metal tabs). the low beam has only one tab.

So this is what I do, the 9006 low beam connector (brown), cut the little two tab with the toe nail cutter, put a 9005 bulb in there and that's it?

What do you mean when you said "i warn you not to buy "high wattage" bulbs like 80W(low) 100W(high) as they can melt your wire harness." Like don't get any bulb that has 80W or higher for the low beamn and nothing higher than 100w for high beam?

I just cut the wires and spliced in new pigtails that I picked up for 9005 bulbs.

He means don't get the high wattage bulbs (80w low beam and 100w high like you figured) because they draw too much power. You'll be fine with the regular 9005s or silverstars :) I think those are closer to 50w like a normal bulb.

the silverstar ultra 9005's i have sitting here are 60w. the OEM ones that came with my new ford headlamps sitting on my bed are as stated above.

Ok I already did it and tried it. I love it is so much better. Thanks. By the way the 9005 bulb is 65W, so is 100% safe right? I'm asking because when I went to buy the bulb all of the people at service they said don't do it because the bulb will blow if I put a 9005 bulb into the 9006 harness.

one more question. What's a nice set of bulb that have a nice blue look? Or purple if it look like those BMW. I think the purple you have to have projector right?

In the case of halogens blue is just the temperature of the bulb. The higher the temperature is over 4300k the bluer it gets. But you also lose more actual light output.

You're thinking of projectors that give that blue/purple color from the right angles.

they prob. have HID lights. you can put them in your tour as well. although if its a pre98 the light spread is going to be horrible b/c of the flutted lense

they prob. have HID lights. you can put them in your tour as well. although if its a pre98 the light spread is going to be horrible b/c of the flutted lense
IMHO the light spread was/is better on my pre98 than my SVT with the same set of HIDs. The flutted lens helps to focus any stray light which makes the whole pattern brighter. Once i get another HID kit (i took the one of the zetec for the SVT since its my DD) i will see if i cant get some pics of the 2 of them parked next to each other pointing at a wall.

There's a couple group buys going on for HIDs now. That's the main thing that will make a huge difference. Another is getting new headlights, or restoring the clarity of your current set.

Optimizing Light Output

Optimizing Light Output

Another solution to the 'dim-at-night' problem is to replace the stock bulbs with Toshiba HIR 9011 and 9012 bulbs. They are pricey, but worth it, as they are only marginally more expensive than Silverstars and much brighter. I got them about 6 months ago, and they light up the night. You can find them on Ebay at Item #170176708740. Their wattages match the stock bulbs, so they won't fry your wires, and being DOT legal, if your lights are adjusted correctly, you won't be getting a ticket from the cop you just blinded. You need to pay attention to the fitting instructions, as they are tight in some Contour headlights. They are pure white and have no tint, so you won't look like a ricer. They are a good solution for those of us who don't want to mess with HIDing our headlights, but want and need more light at night.

Dang today I put in my gf's car (tC) new bulb and I took a look at the old one that I gave her that is 100W guess what happened? She been using the Nokya bulb for about 4 months after looking at the bulb both of them crack and it look like it will shatter any time.

anyone know is there a way for me to change my headlight aiming? for the 98+ contour, there are three screws for the headlight, well because of my accident, all of the top mount are broken so I rely on the bottom mount.

Back