• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crank but no start after rebuilding UIM

jason9696

New CEG'er
So I put everything back together after changing the valve cover gaskets, UIM gaskets and degunking everything. It will crank but it won't turn over. I tried using starter fluid to get it going, but to no avail. I don't think it's getting spark, but I have to check that better today. My guess is there is no spark because it wouldn't even fire with the starting fluid. I know that the wiring harness is cracking under the UIM and I taped each individual wire to prevent shorting out between the wires.
What would you guys suggest I look at first?

What does the engine sound like? If it is really fast, then chances are the cylinders are "washed out" and have lost compression. Try pushing the gas pedal all the way down (this closes off the fuel injectors). If that doesn't work, try removing two spark plugs and put a teaspoon or two of engine oil in the cylinders. Reinstall sp and try again.

Other things to check for are ground strap for ignition coil. This is frequently missed. Also remember the spark plug wiring 4-6-5 on the firewall side for the coil.

As you mentioned wires, make sure the harness by the TPS is not shorting out. And of course the grounds for the battery (especially the one which goes under the battery tray).

What does the engine sound like? If it is really fast, then chances are the cylinders are "washed out" and have lost compression. Try pushing the gas pedal all the way down (this closes off the fuel injectors).

I second that. Happens to me every time I do the UIM/LIM cleaning

Okay,
First, thank you soooo much for the tip about the ground strap to the ignition coil. I double checked the strap and sure enough I forgot to connect it. I reconnected it, and tried to crank it again, but same thing happened, no start. Does anyone have a pic or a more descriptive location of where to bolt the ground to? I kind of forgot. I ran out of opportunities to try starting it, because the battery died from trying too much. I will try again later with a jump from my other car.
It sounds like it cranks at normal speed so I don't know if it's washed out or not. Can it be washed out and still crank at normal speed? Should I just take the plugs out and try adding oil to a few cylinders, or try all of them?
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. It's too friggin cold out to be out there messing around not knowing what I'm doing ;)
Jason

So I tried cranking it over with a battery pack on it. It cranked pretty friggin fast, so I tried putting oil in the front 3 cylinders since those are easy to reach. I put about a cap full of oil in each cylinder.
I think it cranked a little slower, but still did not start. Should I try doing it to all cylinders with a cap full of oil?
The two valve cover vent tubes were rotted at the valve cover connecting side so those are disconnected right now. I wouldn't think that this would affect the starting issue, but what do you think?
I brought the battery inside and I'm charging it at 2 amps for the night.
:shrug:

Did you install the battery and try starting? And yes, do try putting some oil into the other cylinders that you can access easily. In addition, try putting those vacuum lines back in (just in case).

Alright so a new update...
I charged the battery, put it in the car, took all the spark plugs out and cranked it over to clean everything out. I put everything back together and cranked it, nothing. I then went to the parts store and bought an in line spark tester and tried two cylinders, nothing. I have no spark going to the cylinders.
I checked for 12V at the wiring harness on the correct pin and found 12V with the key on.
I am beginning to think the only thing that it could be is the distributor. What do you think Tony?
Thanks again for all your help.

...I am beginning to think the only thing that it could be is the distributor. What do you think Tony?
Thanks again for all your help.

You mean the Ignition Coil. Yes, it could be, but switch out those two wires for another two and see if you get spark there. If you do, you know it is the two wires. Autozonelink has the info on how to test the ignition coil. What are the two culprit cylinders/wires? If they are 4-3 or 6-2 or 5-1, chances are, yes, the coil is the problem.

Coil Pack
4 6 5
3 2 1

Last edited:
Also I should correct myself, that I only checked two cylinders for spark, I assumed the others were the same way.

Yeah, I've checked them and they are all good. I might try and get a ign. mod tomorrow.

mine is exactly the same thing too

was on freeway headed to work and car just shut off.

towed it home and figured i would do a UIM/LIM cleaning/rebuild and see if i find something along the way. also changed plugs (which were old/bad) and thought my oil leak was bad valve cover gaskets. checked them and they were fine.

anyway, tried to restart and same thing. fast clicks. i noticed also they vaccum lines (ones on top of UIM) seem to 'pop' outta place.

Back