• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Make 10 Charcters go Away!

I prefer it.

period. If you can't find something intelligent enough to say that will require more than ten characters, you should probably stop.. think about what you want to post, and then ask yourself this question:

"If what I am wanting to post is less than 10 characters, what are the odds that what I am about to post will benefit ANYONE else?"

The restriction is imposed to eliminate a million responses of "me too" or "yeah!" or "cool!". We don't need a ton of agreeing replies about the subject. We need useable, NEW information. Chances are that if you type more than 10 characters, you'll be more likely to be adding something useful.

Sometimes you exlained something in a previous post and someone asks something like:
"So I put the oil in the oil fill hole"
And you of course reply:
"No"
Don't really need ten words for that

or
"So you found my underwear this morning? Will you bring it to me tonight at your mom's house?"
Again, only a few letters are needed:
"Heck yes"

But it doesn't bother me much when I do happen to make a little lettered post, I just do something like
ten letters or xnkxff or 123354

I completely agree with Ray.

See, there are far more intelligent ways to say "yup" instead of:

+1(10characters)

(which sounds asinine at best)

the ten character limit is stupid. now, in addition to the short response, we get to read people complaining about it in the post as well. or some other nonsense to take up the space.

I completely agree with Ray.

See, there are far more intelligent ways to say "yup" instead of:

+1(10characters)

(which sounds asinine at best)

+1 means you agree completely with the poster.

If you agree completely with Ray, all you needed (or should have needed) to do was type +1.

And if a question only requires a yes or no, why make someone continue with

Yes (, that is the low side valve).

No (, you did not get ripped off.)

91 (. Save money, drive slower)

And sometimes all you want to do is express your laughter with a ROTFL :laugh: or cool :cool: (in regards to a problem being solved).

The restriction is imposed to eliminate a million responses of "me too" or "yeah!" or "cool!". We don't need a ton of agreeing replies about the subject. We need useable, NEW information. Chances are that if you type more than 10 characters, you'll be more likely to be adding something useful.

You're not eliminating anything. Now you're getting a million "yeah" replies with "10 characters" somewhere in the post :blackeye: durrrr

I see the point of it, but it's obvious that people are just going to disregard it and type (10 char) at the end of their posts anyways.

I think the 10 character limit is just as Ray said, to keep posts beneficial to others. I understand some questions above like where someone asks if they got ripped off, and all you want to put is no. That isn't beneficial to anyone to me...It would be better answer with a "no" then why you think it wasnt a rip off. such as "no, most shops charge that much because it takes X amount of hours to get to that part and replace it, And the part itself costs X amount of dollars, so it really isn't a bad deal"

Instead of people agreeing to someone elses post and saying "+1", say why you agree with them. Add in your experience to add some credibility to the post.

For anyone who thinks this 10 character minimum is actually interfering with your daily posts, then maybe you need to sit back and take a look at how many posts of yours are actually worth posting.

I'm not sure wich one I like the least the 10 char or that posts only count in certain places on here

If you post less because of a ten character limit, then how much useful information do you commonly post? I miss the simple replies like "cool" or nice job" etc. but I guess that's just a casualty of rules. :shrug:

For anyone who thinks this 10 character minimum is actually interfering with your daily posts, then maybe you need to sit back and take a look at how many posts of yours are actually worth posting.

LOL. Hmmmm...;)

Last edited:
Holy crap...Finally, I understand the whole (10 char) bit at the end of a lot of recent posts. I was always wondering what the hell it meant, but didn't want to look uncool by asking about it!

Holy crap...Finally, I understand the whole (10 char) bit at the end of a lot of recent posts. I was always wondering what the hell it meant, but didn't want to look uncool by asking about it!
Yeah ... other than one post I made (attempted to make) specifically to see if it exists, I've never seen the warning.

Yeah ... other than one post I made (attempted to make) specifically to see if it exists, I've never seen the warning.

i got it once or twice because the answer to the question I was asking was either yes or no ...

could the filter be set to let certain words past that are under ten characters? ie yes and no? sometime the answer doesn't require any more justification

I'm not sure wich one I like the least the 10 char or that posts only count in certain places on here

This is a prime example of why the 10 character rule was set. People just want to get their post count up. Post count does not equal credibility!!

And honestly, do you think anyone says "wow, I'm really glad Ray chimed in with that smiley face, so I know exactly how he feels about this topic."???? The answer to that is no, because nobody really cares about a single-smiley post.

(Ray, I used your name because anyone else would get butt-hurt over that) :laugh:

Mark

The ten character limit is ridiculous!!! Seriously, are we going to start banning members because their posts are less then 10 characters? Come on, CEG has enough rules as it is, lets not make it any worse then it has to be.

Back