• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

door problems

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
considering this is a common problem with our cars, i assumed it would be on the "common problems n complaints" section. it wasnt there tho. the answers i found while searching were mostly... "replace it." but heres my problem; the c-clip on my driver's door doesnt hold on to the bar on the body of the car. in other words, my door's not shutting. i went to the junkyard to pick up another assembly. am stuck half way. could someone pls tell me how to change this clip the easiest way possible? my door panel is already off.

these are pictures of the one i got from the junkyard
DSC02896.jpg

DSC02897.jpg

ok. i made a bit of progress. i think i just figured out the mechanism so i dont have to replace the handles too. but quick question... how do i take this white plastic clip off in the middle of the picture without breaking it?

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

Last edited:
well, i had to break it. couldnt think of any other way as none knew wot to do. gat no choice but to go to the dealership. i think i broke more things than i could fix.

Last edited:
I'm sure you could email Bill Jenkins at Teamfordparts.com and he can pull up the assembly pic and you can show him the part you need.

wow. where r all our mods @? it seemed like a lotta ppl had this problem. ..
We are around. We are not posting on this thread as we do not have an answer. Believe it or not, sometimes even we do not have all the answers.

If it really "seemed like a lotta ppl had this problem", then you would have had many replies to your thread.

And as mentioned, contact Bill Jenkins. He is just around the corner from you.

We are around. We are not posting on this thread as we do not have an answer. Believe it or not, sometimes even we do not have all the answers.

If it really "seemed like a lotta ppl had this problem", then you would have had many replies to your thread.

And as mentioned, contact Bill Jenkins. He is just around the corner from you.

no way :shocked:! our mods arent all knowing? :laugh:. am just kiddn around. anywayz, i did replace the assembly. it was a pain in the butt, sheez! my fingers r all tore up. for those who r BOUND to run into this dillemma, u do have to break that white clip that holds the rod to the opening mechanism. the guy at the dealership said thats how its changed. replacing it is the tricky part. looks like u'd have to turn it. i didnt have to since fortunately i didnt totally break the clip. i still had enuff grove to reuse it. and so to keep it from falling out, i used the ghetto wire u see in the pic. like i said, it works. if anyone has found a better way of doing this please post it. if u do it the way i did mine, frustration will likely set in till u finish.

Back