• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

When to "call it quits"?

They got the price down to $800 but thats still a lot. Are the parts I listed above correct for the CSVT?

I'll let you in on a little secret. Most shops mark up their parts prices about, oh, 100% or higher. Even if the labor is not bad, they will rape you on parts.

I had an estimate from a shop to rebuild the front suspension on my crown vic. Their total was $1300. I got suspicious when they listed ball joints at $150 EACH for the parts on their invoice. I looked up the parts at Murrays and most were about half of what was listed on the shop invoice. Ball joints were actually $60 each. I got all of the parts for about $300 and did the work with the help of a friend.

Unless it's a job that can't be tackled with regular tools, (front end alignment, something that needs to be pressed in or out, etc) or you have absolutely NO alternative, never go to a shop unless you like throwing large amounts of money away.

The shop that lightning was at is a pretty good shop. One of the few I half way trust. Though I will never fully trust any repair shop. The guy was calling on the parts in front of me and was shocked by the prices he was getting. I was in there getting snow tires mounted, and was talking to the him while I waited. That said the shop has to make money. They make it on part markup and labor.

...Unless it's a job that can't be tackled with regular tools, (front end alignment, something that needs to be pressed in or out, etc) or you have absolutely NO alternative, never go to a shop unless you like throwing large amounts of money away.

Or you have a good shop that doesn't mind doing work just for labor. If you can buy the parts right (i.e. Tousley Ford) and then deliver them with the car, you can do just fine. :cool:

Usually when you buy the Ebrake cables from Ford they come as a set... That's my experience anyhow. I think I paid about $50 for my ebrake cables. You could get the calipers this way as well from either Bill Jenkins or Steve at Tousley Ford. The ebrake cables really aren't that bad either. You have to lower your exhaust and remove the heat shield above it. Really not much to it otherwise.

So you could probably do the entire brake job if you're somewhat mechanically inclined ;)

The E-brake cable is a TSB for frozen rear discs and contains 2 cables, and 2 tension springs to help release the cable. Officialy listed for only 95-96, but should fit all the way to 2000.
F6RZ-2A635-AA List $83.93 CEG $62.50

Every time I look at sticker prices, I get shell shocked....Its a PITA to spend on repairs..but objectively, the math wont lie if its a good deal or not. I just spent 2400 bucks in my 2000 SVT, but it will be good to go for a long while.

Take the X-type for a drive, you are getting the itch, I'm curious how it compares. Rationally, fixing the car you have wins out. Yours isn't near the end of the road at all, and it's an SVT. :cool:

when i was the service writer/asst. manager at a garage we marked *most*parts up 2.9x's what the msrp of the part was...not what WE would pay for them w/our discount. yes.....we would have some irrate customers after they priced the parts them selves

I cant imagine the shop in question is paying more at thier cost than what RockAuto.com Team Ford sells them for. I agree the shop has to make money, but in theory labor is 100% profit. I feel at $800 there is still a bit of the "bend over" factor going on. $5-600 is where I would draw the line.

As far as the X-Type, is that built on the Contour platform or the Mondeo platform that replaced the Contour era cars? Maybe Ill go check it out tomorrow if for nothing else than a few kicks.

FWIW, I had to do both front LCA's on my car. One shop wanted to charge me almost $1000 for the LCAs alone and another $600 labor. I ended up getting the parts from Bill Jenkins for about $300 , did the easy side and got a different shop to do the PITA side and an alignment for about $300. It pays to shop around .

I've had my 'tour for about 2.5 years and probably spend about $1500/year . Next year will probably be more because I plan to install a BAT suspension, headers/ypipe and possibly might add B-Quiet to the car.

Last edited:
Seeing what you all spend annually on maintenance I guess I have been very lucky! I would say over the 4 years Ive owned the car Ive probably averaged $300/yr at most. I guess she is still a really good car so maybe Ill shop around today and see if someone can do the work cheaper since I dont really want to in the winter.

Seeing what you all spend annually on maintenance I guess I have been very lucky! I would say over the 4 years Ive owned the car Ive probably averaged $300/yr at most. I guess she is still a really good car so maybe Ill shop around today and see if someone can do the work cheaper since I dont really want to in the winter.
doit.gif

So the car is getting fixed. I called today to have them get the paperwork so I could just pick it up and the owner answered the phone. One thing lead to another and they are doing the whole job now for $566 + tax. I think that is fair for all so I just told them to go ahead, at least it will be warrantied for 1 year. Next job BAT struts and springs to replace the worn out stockers...

So the car is getting fixed. I called today to have them get the paperwork so I could just pick it up and the owner answered the phone. One thing lead to another and they are doing the whole job now for $566 + tax. I think that is fair for all so I just told them to go ahead, at least it will be warrantied for 1 year. Next job BAT struts and springs to replace the worn out stockers...
awesome to hear your not giving up on the ol' girl just yet:laugh:

Back